New Drive - Not sure how to change my setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

therealpure

Dabbler
Hey,

Currently I have:
2 x 1tb drives Mirrored = vol1 (SMART failure was shown so I want to replace these)
2 x 2tb drives Mirrored = vol2

I now just got a 1 x3 tb drive.

My jails are installed on Vol1.

What is the best setup for my new configuration?
  • Add the 3tb to the ZFS vol2? This can't be undone (correct?)
  • Make a new vol for the 3tb to be separate?
Also how would I restore the jails from the 2 x 1tb Vol1 ? If I make a snap shot of these jails, remove drives and then "restore" this snapshot to the new drive?

Many thanks for any help

danb35

Hall of Famer
Are both of your 1 TB disks failing, or only one? If just one is failing, replace it with the 3 TB disks. At some point in the future, replace the other 1 TB disk with a 3 TB disks, and at that time, vol1 will grow to ~ 3 TB.

therealpure

Dabbler
Thanks for quick reply.

If I replace 1 of the 1tb drives will that not limit the mirrored volume to be only 1tb? Despite having a 1 x 1tb and 1 x 3tb drive?

Are both of your 1 TB disks failing, or only one? If just one is failing, replace it with the 3 TB disks. At some point in the future, replace the other 1 TB disk with a 3 TB disks, and at that time, vol1 will grow to ~ 3 TB.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Yes, that's correct. A ZFS mirror with 1 x 1 TB disk and 1 x 3 TB disk will have a capacity of ~ 1 TB. When you replace the other disk, its capacity will increase.

therealpure

Dabbler
But by inserting 1x3tb drive first then the data should be mirrored on to this and then replacing the remaining 1x1tb drive I will keep all the data/jails but end up with 3tb of mirrored storage.

Once I swap in the 3tb drive is there anything I will need to do to ensure the mirror works with this?

Should I just follow the "replace a broken drive" advice here

http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_storage.html#replacing-a-failed-drive

Yes, that's correct. A ZFS mirror with 1 x 1 TB disk and 1 x 3 TB disk will have a capacity of ~ 1 TB. When you replace the other disk, its capacity will increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.