BUILD New build, comments and advices ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arameen

Contributor
regarding SATA ports and the
You're building a server, so you should really consider server-grade hardware. SuperMicro isn't the only manufacturer, but they're the best known and most-used around here. They also aren't too expensive--the X10SLL-F-O motherboard is less expensive than the one you're looking at, and has onboard video. It has 6 SATA ports vs. 8; if you really need 8 ports you would want to look at the X10SL7-F-O instead. It's a bit more expensive, but gives you 14 SATA ports.

A two-disk configuration is not RAIDZ2; it's a mirror. You could ditch the 4TB disks entirely and set up the six remaining 3TB disks in a RAIDZ2 pool with approx. 12TB net capacity. You should also consider different disks--7200rpm disks aren't optimal for this environment, as they tend to use more power and run hotter than 5400 ones. If you already have them, you can use them, but they aren't the best choice if you're buying new hardware.

Either of the SuperMicro motherboards I suggested supports IPMI, which lets you manage your server remotely. So, even though they have onboard video, you won't ever need to use it--you can do everything over your network.

As far as CPUs go, the Socket 1150 Celerons, Pentiums, i3s, and Xeon E3s support ECC. The i5s and i7s don't. A Celeron G1850 is about $55 and should meet your needs without problems.

Regarding my need of more than 6 SATA ports.
I have since before 2 PCI cards with 4 SATA ports each, those i could insert into X10SLL-F-O and save some money not buying the X10SL7-F-O. I know that I will not be able to smartmonitor the disks connected to the PCI cards but save money on the other side.
Except that, is there any other disadvantage or anythign else considering if using PCI card for more SATA instead of buying the more expensive X10SL7-F-O with more than 6 SATA ports?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
A couple of problems:

If they're PCI, they're definitely pure crap all around. Not stable, slow and incompatible.

Not allowing SMART monitoring immediately makes a card a very bad choice. You'll have little to no idea that a drive is failing, which has been the cause of quite a few pool losses.

arameen

Contributor
Status
Not open for further replies.