new boot drives

doglover

Dabbler
Hello. I currently boot off of a single USB 2 thumb drive. It takes quite a bit longer with 11.3 than it did with 11.1. And it is getting old, several years now. I gather it will fail soon, especially if the OS runs off the drive and not loaded into RAM, which I saw in the documentation.
I also wanted to mirror the drive and have a second one. I did notice that the documentation discourages this, strongly recommending dual internal SSDs instead.
The motherboard in there has no free SATA ports, so I would need to buy an expansion board. The posts seems to suggest a LSI HBA. I guess I could try to find one.

Is it really so bad to have dual USB2 sticks? I already own them, and I hate to mess with, and possibly screw up, something that is working so well. Esp since I am a novice and questionable if I can fix problems I cause.

Am I reading the posts correctly that if I buy something off the hardware list, it will just work? Or will I need to reinstall the OS and find drivers? Maybe I will need to reinstall the OS to the SSDs? Or do I just transfer the old OS off the USB2 thumb drives?
I do see that I will change BIOS settings to point to the new devices. I think I can do that.
Thanks much, thanks for FreeNAS.
Best,
IMF

Yorick

Wizard
Is it really so bad to have dual USB2 sticks?

You can just run with it. Take config backups. If things go south, install on a fresh stick and restore config. If the USB sticks die too often for your taste, move to an SSD. Intel 320 40GB are cheap on eBay.

Am I reading the posts correctly that if I buy something off the hardware list, it will just work?

Correct. No need to reinstall or find drivers.

Maybe I will need to reinstall the OS to the SSDs? Or do I just transfer the old OS off the USB2 thumb drives?

You can use the attach/detach procedure as in the manual: Attach the new boot device, let it resilver and detach the old USB stick.

I'm using a single 2.5" 120GB spinning laptop drive as my boot device and used this process. Upgrades are significantly faster than when I was using a USB stick.

ChrisRM

Dabbler
I'm using a single 2.5" 120GB spinning laptop drive as my boot device and used this process. Upgrades are significantly faster than when I was using a USB stick.

I'm in practically the same situation as the OP, and looking at your single drive boot setup and wondering. I have a spare M.2 SSD that's simply sitting in a USB3 case; what's the downside of switching from mirrored USB stick to a single USB SSD?