Networking stops working after adding a VLAN via GUI

Intel

Explorer
I came across a similar issue from 2021: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/how-to-setup-a-vlan-in-truenas-scale.97756/

That thread discusses IP being a requirement; it was clarified this is not the case. So I use the Web GUI and follow these instructions: https://www.truenas.com/docs/core/coretutorials/network/interfaces/vlancreate/

My inputs in Network > Interfaces > Add
- type VLAN
- name: vlan666
- parent_interf: enp42s0
- vlan tag: 666
- priority code: best effort (default)
- MTU 1500 (default)
>> submit "Test Changes" (then server stops responding on the network)

There seems to be no way to recover the host, unless I do a hard reset. I tried '/etc/init.d/networking restart' and it did not resolve it.

Interestingly, if I repeat the steps above and 'hard reset' (via button) after hitting "Test changes" the network interface vlan666 remains in the configuration and at next boot it seems to be working. However, truenas scale continues to be buggy and I can't add or modify network settings at all or I lose all network connectivity. The settings don't persist if I wait longer than 60 seconds after I hit "Test changes" (guess this is intended; but again - network should have been restored/automatic rolledback and that's not what its doing either)

Intel

Explorer
I'm not sure if this bug occurs because I have multiple apps installed, but as an additional data point I wiped my install and started from scratch.

If you configure your networking before installing any Apps on the system, using the GUI to add VLAN and bridge interfaces to the physical eth0 NIC on my server works just fine without any hiccups. But this bug exists and will crash networking if you have a few apps running (server has a single NIC).

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I'm not sure if this bug occurs because I have multiple apps installed, but as an additional data point I wiped my install and started from scratch.

If you configure your networking before installing any Apps on the system, using the GUI to add VLAN and bridge interfaces to the physical eth0 NIC on my server works just fine without any hiccups. But this bug exists and will crash networking if you have a few apps running (server has a single NIC).
As you can imagine, testing all these scenarios is very complex...

Please report a bug, especially if you can reproduce.

Its likely to be treated as low priority, but it is useful if everyone knows the bug exists.