Networking (can't get to the GUI to do any more setup.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiradog

Dabbler
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum.

I have put together a box using an ASUS M5A78L-M LX3 motherboard, after the build I installed Freenas 8, unfortunately I started to experience BOIS instability shortly after the installation. I worked out that it had nothing to do with the download and concentrated on the Mobo problem.

I have sorted out this problem after finding out one stick of memory was causing the instability, and returned to setting up Freenas.

Again unfortunately when I boot into Freenas now I can't get a network connection, therefore I can't get to the GUI to do any more setup.

I have tried restarting the network service with:

# /etc/rc.d/netif start

Again with no luck.

Should I re-install the the Freenas software or is there a fix that I have overlooked?

:confused:

ProtoSD

MVP
Next time you post, consider adhering to the forum rules:

3. When you start a new thread you MUST write a subject that accurately describes the content.

Including the following information in your thread will increase the chance you will get an answer:

FreeNAS version and platform (32 or 64 bit).
General hardware information (CPU, RAM, Motherboard model, etc.).
Specific hardware information (Network card chipset, Raid controller chipset, etc.).
DMESG output or copy of specific error message.
IFCONFIG output if you are asking about a NIC or networking problem.
PCICONF -lv output if you are asking about MotherBoard and / or PCI card problems.
Code snippets, logs, config files and quotes should be enclosed in the appropriate bbcode tags.
To provide you with accurate answers we need this information and it will also help others to find your posts when they are searching for similar information.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you had bad RAM I'd do a reinstall. It's possible that when FreeNAS was installed the bad RAM corrupted the decompressed data in memory before it was written to the USB stick.

Things get VERY messy when RAM goes bad.

Wiradog

Dabbler
Thanks cyberjock

For confirming what I thought was going on, since the last post I have confirmed that the installation is screwed.

Problem I have got is how do I completely uninstall this first version?

I have tried booting the original CD, but it does not fully reinstall the software, and I am still left with a corrupted version.

What I need is a complete clean reinstall, and I don't know how to achieve this from the command line?

Please help if you can.
:confused:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you are used to Windows plug the USB drive into your favorite Windows machines and delete the partitions from Control Panels -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management.

After all 4 partitions are deleted you should be able to install FreeNAS again and it'll be as if it was a brand new USB stick.

joeschmuck

Old Man
When using the bootable FreeNAS 8.3.1-Release CD (making an assumption since you didn't post anything other than FreeNAS 8 of which there are many versions of that), when asked if you want to upgrade, say No. This will install a clean image to the boot flash drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.