Network not configured after boot

Hi

I have a FreeNAS 11.2 running on a Dell T20, it started its life as a 9.3 then updated to 9.10 and then 11.2. There has not been any hardware changes during this periode (other than adding 2x8GB RAM), but after the update to 11.2 a strange thing has appeared.

It seems as though the system does not bring up networking on boot if the monitor is not turned on. I have seen a couple of times where a shutdown was needed, that after boot it did not have an IP address. I'm running with a static configured IP so its not really a DHCP problem. If I turn on the monitor, I can see that it does not show the URL where I can login to the web gui. If I then login to the console and rerun the network configuration, then it brings up the interface.

If I boot with a monitor attached and turned on, then the system actually boots with network configured (so its kinda hard to debug).

I can see that there are a few similar cases in the forum, but they appear to be caused by some hardware issue with motherboard/chipset... but since this has not happened with 9.x I assume that the hardware/chipset support should be ok? The network adapter is a onboard interface as well as the VGA is onboard.

melloa

Wizard
Here's some thoughts:

- Check for link on your motherboard NIC and your switch/router port;
- With the monitor connected to your server, confirmed link as above, unplug and plug the cable from your NIC - look for a message saying em0 disconnected and em0 connected, or something like that, depending on the manufacture of your NIC.
- Open the shell and command:
Code:
dmesg | more
. Read the output of that command looking for messages about your NIC ... look for detection, driver error, etc.

Also ... for folks here help you better, please post your server specs.