Network Interface Not Responding After Reboot / Network Config

Status
Not open for further replies.

burns

Cadet
I have searched both Google and forums and have seen some similar issues, but the only one that came close to mine involved VLANs and I am not using any VLANs.

This issue occurs during two separate scenarios.
1) Immediately after configuring network for the first time
2) Immediately after rebooting system

After configuring the network interfaces (option #1) In the console menu I see the static IP address I have assigned. However, both ICMP and TCP traffic fail to generate replies to my desktop (Windows) when trying to connect (SSH/web GUI, as well as ping). ICMP traffic indicates "Destination host unreachable". FreeNAS console system messages indicate that the NTP lookups are failing as well, telling me that routed traffic outbound from FreeNAS system is also not working, not just inbound traffic from LAN.

Steps taken to reproduce:
1) Reset to factory defaults
2) Configure network interface
2a) Reset interface config? Y
2b) Configure DHCP? N
2c) IPv4: 172.24.24.32/23
2d) IPv6: N
3) New IP shows in console menu. Test WebGUI / ping from desktop (source 172.24.24.64/23): Fail
4) In FreeNAS console, enter shell and restart interface (ifconfig re0 down, ifconfig re0 up)
5) New IP still shows in console menu. Test WebGUI / ping from desktop (172.24.24.64/23): Success
6) Reboot
7) New IP still shows in console menu. Test WebGUI / ping from desktop (172.24.24.64/23): Fail
8) Repeat restart of interface from shell
9) New IP still shows in console menu. Test WebGUI / ping from desktop (172.24.24.64/23): Success

FreeNAS Version: FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201505130355

Hardware
Motherboard / CPU: AsRock QC5000-ITX/Wifi AMD FT3 Kabini A4-5000 Quad-Core APU (Embedded combo)
RAM: 16 GB (2 x 8GB G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series DDR3 1600) Non-ECC
NIC: Onboard Realtek RTL8111E (10/100/1000 Mbps)
Boot Drive: Patriot USB Flash Drive (8 GB, USB 2.0)
HDDs: Currently 3 (eventually 4) Seagate 3TB - ST3000DM001 (not yet added to FreeNAS)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ar-Tee-Ell-Eight-One-One-One. We missed you. /s

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
@burns

What the guys are trying to say, is that your motherboard has a Realtek 8111E for its network connection. This is basically the biggest piece of crap on the planet, and actually does not work correctly in many instances, particularly on the non-Windows operating systems. The reason why it is so popular on crap-grade motherboards is that it is much cheaper than the alternatives, and it works "well enough" on Windows.

So the problem *MAY* be the Realtek 8111E NIC on the server. In which case we can't really help you; you can Google around. Or, the problem may be something more basic in your network configuration and have nothing to do with the NIC, but, the guys on here aren't highly motivated to help people who have installed the FreeNAS product on the exact opposite of the recommended hardware (as you have), since it never seems to end well.

Sorry we can't be of more help sir. I'd try to set it up with DHCP just as a sanity check, see if it can get a DHCP assignment.

gpsguy

As others have said, your Realtek NIC isn't recommended. An inexpensive fix would be to add an Intel Pro/1000 CT. About $35 USD for an OEM version.

Note, if you are setting a static address from the console menu, be sure to configure DNS too. If not, this would explain why it can't get out to the NTP servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.