Network issues FreeNAS-8r7257-amd64 - NAS freezes network when copying large files

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaqushi

Dabbler
Hi,

i searched already and got some hints, but none of them help. I use a ACER H340 and FreeNAS-8r7257-amd64 to run the FreeNAS. Excellent NAS, I am happy so far. But when i want to transfer large files, the system freezes after around 1 hr.

The complete network freezes, meaing no device can connect to the router. If i restart the freenas server, it gets released and network works again.

What can i do to solve that issue?

Thanks
Yaqushi :confused:

yaqushi

Dabbler
... nobody an idea?

Meanwhile I updated to version 8.0.1. and still the same issue. It doesnt matter if I copy large files or a bunch of small ones, same problem.. any ideas?

yaqushi

Dabbler
..tried to modify the loader.conf, but that didn't help. I have installed 2GB ram, more it not possible.

Would it help if I change from ZFS to UFS?

Thanks
Y

ProtoSD

MVP
So you only have a total of 2GB of RAM? If you only have a total of 2GB of RAM, I think this could be your problem. If that is the most you can have, than it would be better to use UFS.

yaqushi

Dabbler
Yes only 2GB RAm possbile in the Acer H340, cause only one bank for DDR2.

What is the main difference of UFS vs ZFS? I read that ZFS has certain advantegous, but not sure if I need those...

ProtoSD

MVP
What is the main difference of UFS vs ZFS?

ZFS needs lots of RAM ;) There are too many advantages for me to explain here, but error correction and redundancy I think are probably the most important. 2GB of RAM is just not enough to use it effectively.

yaqushi

Dabbler
2GB might be not enough to run it effectively, but at least it should not crash the network... no?

Well I tried now to reconfigure the 2x500GB and 2x2TB to one UFS stripe. After doing so, the volume shows 1.8TB available. Why is that? Limitation of the UFS stripe?

yaqushi

Dabbler
thats weird. tried the ufs, but each two stripes together with each 1x500GB+1x2TB. Thats the results:

fwsx37.jpg

Why is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.