Network Interfaces on FreeNAS Mini XL unreliable, buggy

steve.long

Dabbler
Good afternoon all!

I've been plagued by an issue lately which I'd like the experts' input on.

I have two identical FreeNAS Mini XLs. One is in the office I work at. One is at the CEO's home and serves as an offsite backup. I send ZFS replications to the offsite FreeNAS throughout the day and each evening. However, due to bandwidth restrictions, occasionally I need to bring the offsite Mini in to the office for a speedy replication. Then I return it to the offsite location.

Last time I brought it in, however, when I returned it to its offsite location, the network interfaces were not working. I couldn't log in (I was receiving the infamous "Connecting to NAS... Make sure the NAS system is powered on and connected to the network." message and the snapshots wouldn't travel over the VPN. I knew nothing had changed in the config, and I had just been on the webgui back at work. It seemed that powering it off had caused this issue.

I brought the Mini back into the office and investigated the interface issue. I tried booting into a different environment because that was supposed to fix it. After trying everything over and over (everything being deleting the interfaces, resetting the network settings, and configuring the interfaces) they just started working. For several weeks, while I handled other IT tasks, I allowed the replications to just happen locally. Not ideal, I know. Just today I finally was ready to tackle the problem.

I took the FreeNAS offsite, set it up, logged into the web gui and confirmed everything was working. It even replicated right before my eyes. Wonderful!

I tore the configuration down, and placed everything where it belonged at the CEO's house. Upon booting the FreeNAS, guess what? No network. No replication. Identical wiring. All that happened was I rebooted.

I need some help guys. I've tried what I know. It seems completely random, and right now it's completely unreliable. Please help!

D

dlavigne

Are you using static addressing or DHCP on the interface?