Network in and out of Synology slower than grass growing.

Dirk

Patron
Yes I know it's not a Synology forum but bear withy me.

I retired the old server last month and brought the new on online (see Below). I recently bought a used Synology 2 bay for backup (small enough to grab and run, or park at a friends offsite). Recently I had a software fart and lost a lot of media on the Freenas server, so needed to restore from the backup. Unfortunately I'm having to selectively restore based on weather the servers file was deleted or not so I've been looking through directories to see what is missing and then restore. Tedious at best.

I'm restoring Synology to my Win 10 PC then transfer to Freenas (yes, not the best way to go but "m not aware of how to use rsync from the Synology to Freenas and only restore if file does not exist AND is newer.

After a few shots I saw I was downloading from Synology at <7MB. Here after about 15 hours is what I've tested.

Win 10 to and from Synology is <7MB

Freenas to and from Synology <7MB

Win 10 to and from Freenas ~55MB

Transfers are being done from Win 10 with WNSCP

Synology has a new 8TB datacenter drive and both Win 10 and Freenas have WD red drives 64 bit multi core CPU, and 32 gigs memory. All tree devices have been confirmed to be running 1GB lan connections with 1500MTU and the switch is also 1GB

So, I'm thinking it's the Synology. Pulled another unused one off the self, put in a fresh hard drive, set it up and fired up SMB (blank hard drive and fresh install).

Same result.

The best I've done is FTP, and that gets interesting to. Downloading with Filezilla gets me TWO concurrent ~21MB connections. Downloading with WINSCP running FTP gets me one ~21MB. Fileziila can do >21MB by doing 2 files both at 21MB but WINSCP can only hit that 21MB.

I always try to help myself, but I do have 15 hours into research of countless Synology "transfer speed is slow" topics with no result.

Any help is appreciated

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I'm restoring Synology to my Win 10 PC then transfer to Freenas (yes, not the best way to go but "m not aware of how to use rsync from the Synology to Freenas and only restore if file does not exist AND is newer.

Well, sometimes the fix is to figure out your underlying problem...

You are probably looking for something along the lines of

synology$ rsync --dry-run -av --update /volume1/my/filesdir/ freenas:/mnt/pool/target

Now the thing here is that I'm not clear on what "file does not exist AND is newer" means, if the file doesn't exist, there is no "newer" to compare to. I have specified "--update" which will cause the Synology to skip files that are newer on the FreeNAS host.

I suggest trying the above command, altered to suit. The "--dry-run" guarantees that nothing will actually be done. Use this until you are happy with the things that rsync tells you it wants to do, and then, once you are entirely happy with the proposed changeset, you remove the "--dry-run" and it will actually do it for you. The responsibility is yours to make sure that it is doing what you want, of course.

Dirk

Patron
Thanks for the reply Jgreco: What I was trying to say was if the destination file does not exist, place it but if it does exist only overwrite if the destination is older.

Re-reading I see that it was not too clear.

In your example what would it do if the file exists and is the same? I'm assuming skip since it would be a waste time to overwrite.

Dirk

Patron
I'll read up some more, but setting up Freenas to rsync to the Synology was a 30 hour headache a few months ago. Everything was setup perfectly with keys generated on Freenas and transferred to the Synoloy. It would not work. After those hours I found where another person got it to work by generating the key on Synology and then transfer to Freenas. It worked. Nothing changed in the setup of the task on Freenas.

All those hours revealed that Synology's implementation of rsync was either not full, watered down, or a hack (other peoples experience).
I've said it before, someone should make a two bay box that could run your own operating system.

Now, back to that network speed problem.
And thanks.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
If you're using keys for a one-time operation, that's crazy. Use passwords and be done with it.

Dirk

Patron
No, the Freenas backs up to the Synology twice a week via an rsync task that fires in the early AM. Part of my original post was trying to figure out a better way to restore. Which was I guess a two part question.
Is there a way to determine speed of the rsync task? I know there are ne easy to find logs (assuming time is in there) If by backup is moving at <7MB then it's another thing to look into.