NetApp X2065A-R6 + DS4246 and TrueNAS

Force Majeure

Dabbler
There isn't much knowledge out there about the NetApp X2065A-R6 card (on TrueNAS), so I thought I might share my experience.

We have two DS4246s. We connected one with a QSFP->SF-8088 câble to an arguable sub-standard LSI and it worked. But I have only one câble and the daisy chain of the two DS4246s via a QSFP câble did not work.

Encouraged by this post: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/netapp-x2065a-r6-hba-with-dell-freenas.63192/
... I decided to get a NetApp X2065A-R6. We already had four QSFP câbles dans I wanted to use them. Seemed like the cheapest option, with solid hardware.

The good news is that it works. Both shelves are daisy chained and I can see all drives.
However, I can no longer hot swap the drives like I could with the LSI.

And another thing...
Since the "upgrade", TrueNAS has sent us several "Read SMART Self-Test Log Failed" errors on 5-6 drives seemingly at random, across the two shelves. Sometimes, the issues goes away on its own (I can do a manual long test). But I have one drive right now where the shell just freezes when I try a smartctl command.
Yet, the pool is just fine. All drives accounted for.

The likely culprit is the X2065A-R6. I don't know if there is a fix. My knowledge is limited and debugging this might be outside my skillset. I'll give it more time, but I am considering getting a proper LSI and a second QSFP->SF-8088 câble, to see if that fixes things.

If anybody has any insights, feel free to chime in

Thanks

robyn

Cadet
Hi, I'm looking at doing something similar with an old DS4246 that I acquired. Have you had any other issues with using the X2065A-R6 card? Would you recommend it over a more traditional LSI HBA w/ SF-8088? (I have a LSI SAS 9207-4i4e that I'm debating using, but need cables for that too)

Force Majeure

Dabbler
The NetApp X2065A-R6 was a bust. Too many issues. We switched to the more widely recommended LSI SAS9200-8e with QSFP->SF-8088 cables and the whole system was much more reliable afterwards.