netapp DS4243 and

Keith51789

Cadet
so in searching for answers, google searches, reddit and on here i can only really find many old, very old 3-6 years old, posts about these devices. im not really looking to trouble shoot anything. but more since this filesystem is new to me looking for help (shell CMDs?) for testing purposes. so i have a dell r710 with 2x LSI 9702 (an 8i and 8e) attaching to a couple of disk shelves dell md1200(very loud) netapp ds4243(much quieter). both of these could use but also dont have to use imposers.

so theres alot of posts from 2013-15 about the netapp boxes and about sas imposers and using sata disks. how they will and wont work for smart functions, im my currently testing and can confirm that sata disk are seen and usable both with and without the sas imposer.

what kinda testes can i run to check the differences between the same model drives(3tb hitachi ENT sata) both with and without the imposers?

and any info on benifits or hardships with using sas imposers vs not using them?

uglystick40

Cadet
Have you found any answers to your questions? I am running a DS4243 with a IOM6 with FreeNas 11.3 and having some issues. I am running all Sata drives. I am not sure what imposers are. Curious what you experience has been? Matt..

Holt Andrei Tiberiu

Contributor
Hello, i use 2 shelfs, with IOM6
Drives are SATA and SAS mix in same shelf, but not mixed in the same pool.
Card is a LSI 2008 chipset, a dell H200E, with LSI FW
Also, the cabel used is a QSFP to SFP cabel
It wotks excelent, 0 problems, but i do use only 1 controller of the 2 in each shelf

The shelf's are dasy-chained, one is id 1 the other id 2

Freenas is 11.3, did not have time to update, it is in a production enviorment.

Drives are SATA SSD Samsung evo and 15000 RPM Seagate Drives

Last edited:

Holt Andrei Tiberiu

Contributor
Have you found any answers to your questions? I am running a DS4243 with a IOM6 with FreeNas 11.3 and having some issues. I am running all Sata drives. I am not sure what imposers are. Curious what you experience has been? Matt..

The interposers are the electronics in the caddy, it is a piece of electronics between the drive and the backplane of the shelf.

Holt Andrei Tiberiu

Contributor

Holt Andrei Tiberiu

Contributor
attaching to a couple of disk shelves dell md1200(very loud)

Yes they are, the md 1220 is quieter.

But until now, i can confirm you that the dell shelfs work best, and have no compatibility issues.

Also, with sas drives, the do have multipath, and it works also.

Holt Andrei Tiberiu

Contributor

Also, please detail what are your problems, and how did you connect the shelf to the server.

Keith51789

Cadet
Also, please detail what are your problems, and how did you connect the shelf to the server.

i dont have any issues really just wondering whether or no to use the sas imposers, whether or not theres any benefit. i do seem to get less smart data over all with using the imposers; so currently i am not. also i sold my md1200, and bought 2 more DS4243, i keep finding decent deals on them for under $150. just slowing building up each with 3tb disks.

Keith51789

Cadet

sata without the imposer seems to be fine, they seem to be better without them, more smart data.

I have HP D2600 (3.5") and D2700 (2.5") external shelves, and they both work great with a LSI 9207-8e. They are really cheap on eBay as was these days. If you get the Netapp's with drives included, you may very well have to reformat them. I think they use a 520b sector size which FreeNAS doesn't like.

Holt Andrei Tiberiu

Contributor