Nested datasets are doubling data usage...??

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverJS

Patron
I've recently reconfigured my main box to have nested datasets, to allow for more specific snapshots (seeing as I actually have a THIRD unused computer I might use to backup specific high-value datasets, like kid pictures and such). I've just now finished copying the data back into them - and I've gone from using 3.7TB to over 7.4TB!!

I did MOVE the biggest folder (HD movies : 2.7 TB) from the non-nested to the nested dataset (for the others, I mostly copied them from the backup box, deleted the original and renamed the nested dataset).

So, for example, I now have :

Movies (2.7TB)
Movies/HD (2.7TB)
Movies/SD (73GB)

Seems that FreeNAS is adding up all three numbers, instead of just taking the last two...

Ideas...? I'll try to provide a screenshot of my Storage pane later if that helps.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Can you post a debug file? System -> Advanced -> Save Debug.

It doesn't sound like FreeNAS is doing anything except what it's supposed to do. I can definitely tell you that storing data in a subdataset does not make the data take up twice the space. So you can give that idea up. ;)

SilverJS

Patron
I had. =) In any case, I re-created the pool, so all good now. Posted another thread about nested dataset performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.