Can too many datasets hamper performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverJS

Patron
Quick question - mostly as per title, but some amplification :

I have two FreeNAS boxes - a server, and a backup one I replicate to daily. I have amassed enough spare parts to build a third one - wholly unnecessary, I understand, but hey....better than to have those sitting around, I guess.

I'd only use it for backing up the more important stuff - kid pictures, etc. - as it's only got a single 500GB drive anyways. =)

But, to the point : in order to enable replication of a specific folder to this thirdline server, I've split my pool up into several datasets. Where I used to have a single one (Tank), I now have 21. (This includes the top-level ones, as well as their nested child datasets.)

Is there a performance penalty for doing something like this? I actually prefer having things in their own datasets like this, so that I have full flexibility in the future to alter backup schedules and such.

Cheers!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I think 21 is a little overkill for home use. But if you like it go for it, performance will not change depending on nested datasets.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'd say unless you are about to have 100s of datasets, you shouldn't worry about it. The same is true for snapshots. They take up resources only when managing them. I do know people that have over 1000 datasets and over 30k snapshots. Managing them can be time consuming, but actually using them isn't hampered.

Status
Not open for further replies.