Need to add PCI network card, any suggestions?

Robert Townsend

Dabbler
It was very difficult finding a motherboard that supports my 16G DDR3 and I7-3770K CPU. The one I got claimed it had a 1Gb/s network. By happenstance my deskcheck of the motherboard had Windows 11 installed - and it states the network is 100Mb/s. I verified with a 11MB/s file transfer.

Since 100Mb/s speed is not acceptable I'm considering a PCI network card. I have 1x and 16x PCI slots available. I will start reviewing TrueNAS documentation but I'm wondering. How easy/difficult will it be to set up TrueNAS to use the PCI network card. It's been years since I installed FreeNAS on my current server and don't remember addressing networks.

Does anyone have recommendations on a PCI network card? My network only supports up to 1Gb/s.

Its pretty easy, what I would do is shut down, install card, boot up and change your existing nic to a different IP, then make your new nic the old IP. Its possible to have to change some settings if jails are looking for a particular network card. As far as the card goes you could get a simple Intel 1x pcie card, or go with something more along these lines. And stick it in the 16 slot.

Robert Townsend

Dabbler
Its pretty easy, what I would do is shut down, install card, boot up and change your existing nic to a different IP, then make your new nic the old IP. Its possible to have to change some settings if jails are looking for a particular network card. As far as the card goes you could get a simple Intel 1x pcie card, or go with something more along these lines. And stick it in the 16 slot.
Thank you, I did see the dual port IBM cards but figure the extra port won't add to my basic home installation. I just ordered a PCI 1x Intel 82572GI Gigabit Controller based new network card for $22. Once installed I'll disable the MB NIC since I'm not sure it could add any value.

Robert Townsend

Dabbler
Thank you, I did see the dual port IBM cards but figure the extra port won't add to my basic home installation. I just ordered a PCI 1x Intel 82572GI Gigabit Controller based new network card for $22. Once installed I'll disable the MB NIC since I'm not sure it could add any value.
I received the card and installed it. TrueNAS picked it up at 1000T and is happily processing. I also installed a 6 port PCI-e 4x SATA 3.0 card. My performance testing has the drives at 170MB/s in a USB cradle. In TrueNAS RAIDZ2 I've gotten download speeds of 110MB/s, I am thrilled.

sretalla