Need some guidence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inderpreet

Cadet
Hi,

I am a system administrator. I need a backup solution to manage my all users and server data. I was looking into many open source backup solutions like openfiler , freenas etc. I found FreeNAS is reliable by reading user reviews.

My basic requirement is that i want a centralized storage where me and all my users can put their data and access that any time and the most important thing is that i want a setup like RAID so that if there will be any crash of HDD happen then i will be able to recover my data from another HDD. So i just want to know how can i use FreeNAS in this manner. Kindly guide me how can I setup such a backup server using FreeNAS or any other utility so that the data will be fully secure and recoverable if any crash happen. Kindly also tell me the hardware requirement to setup such server.

Jason Hamilton

Contributor
I am a home user of FreeNAS but what I do for my backup solution is I have an account with CrashPlan. I then run the client on one of my Ubuntu servers at home that has all of the mount points for the FreeNAS on it. I then setup CrashPlan to backup all of these mount points. I hope that this helps you with your backup solution.

thelambentonion

Dabbler
Hardware suggestions can be found here.

Inderpreet

Cadet
I am a home user of FreeNAS but what I do for my backup solution is I have an account with CrashPlan. I then run the client on one of my Ubuntu servers at home that has all of the mount points for the FreeNAS on it. I then setup CrashPlan to backup all of these mount points. I hope that this helps you with your backup solution.

Thanks for your reply. I will look into CrashPlan utility.

Status
Not open for further replies.