Need motherboard and memory for my new home server

Status
Not open for further replies.

falukky

Explorer
I am build home server and looking for server motherboard and memory (8GB is enough ?)
what i am looking for is Stability and performance, the motherboard and the memory will join to Intel Core i3-4150 and Lian Li PC-Q25 Case.
and i already have 6 X 2TB drivers so i need motherboard with 6 Sata connectors.

Budget: up to 400$ maximum.

falukky

Explorer
I can see here this motherboard new and open box (50$ discount) , is safe to buy this open box ?

Knowltey

Patron
I can see here this motherboard new and open box (50$ discount) , is safe to buy this open box ?

Open Box is generally fine. There may be a slight higher risk of DOA, but you can still return non-operational parts within 30 days. Its just that it may be missing stuff such as instruction manuals, cables, or driver disks, in which case Newegg won't send replacements for those as they warned you about the potential for those parts to be missing.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The ASRock stuff has been a good alternative to the Supermicro boards we like, but I haven't actually laid hands on the E3C224 boards, just the Avoton 2750 one.

You definitely have a slightly higher risk of problems - not just DOA - with open box motherboards, because, well, y'know, someone returned it, and with your luck it might be someone who thought it was fine to build PC's on their kitchen table while wearing wool sweaters. Even most PC shops and IT departments tend to fail to take adequate ESD precautions. Of course, this assumes you're bothering to follow ESD precautions yourself. But there's also plenty of opportunity for bent pins, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.