SOLVED Need help making space on my boot drive FreeNAS 11.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Maybe I misunderstood so please clarify... Your System Dataset is going to where exactly? freenas-boot or to your pool?

If it's going to your freenas-boot then I'd recommend that it be moved back to the pool.

The easy fix here is to backup your configuration data as @BigDave previously stated and then install from the iso FreeNAS 11.1 and then during the first bootstrap, cancel the configuration and then restore your configuration file. All should be good after that.

What it looks like is something during your upgrade to 11.1 has sucked away a lot of your capacity. I can't explain why nor any click of a button solution, all I can see if a clean install from the iso to fix it. And this actually is a fast way to recover.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The easy fix here is to backup your configuration data as @BigDave previously stated and then install from the iso FreeNAS 11.1
...and then whatever data @Spiderham has inadvertently stored on his boot device will be lost.

Spiderham

Dabbler
Freenas fresh.PNG

danb35

Hall of Famer
The fresh install with no update and loading config seemed to Work.
Of course it did--how could it not? Of course, the data that you inadvertently stored on your boot device is now gone, and you haven't done anything to figure out what that data was, or how it got there.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Of course it did--how could it not? Of course, the data that you inadvertently stored on your boot device is now gone, and you haven't done anything to figure out what that data was, or how it got there.
He likely has no idea what it was so he will never miss it, until he needs it, assuming it was somewhat important. Sometimes people do the weirdest things and cause themselves a real headache with making odd configuration changes. This is the day to day life here on the forums though.

danb35

Hall of Famer
He likely has no idea what it was
Clearly not. But if he'd done about 30 seconds' worth of troubleshooting, as a few of us here explained, rather than just "blow it away and start over", he would know.

Status
Not open for further replies.