Need advice on hardware for first FreeNAS PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mat Arc

Cadet
Hi Guys,

Good day.

Im planning on converting my current PC into a NAS but im not sure if its practical or not.
Im going to use it to store and play my 1080p bought movies and as a file server.

Currently im running win 7(64bit) ultimate computer but the data transfer is really slow and when i try to play a HD 1080p movie from it, it will have intermittent lags - think because it tries to buffer it.

I currently have 3 computers (2wired ethernet and other wireless) and 3 mobile devices all wireless and for now this is my wireless router (Asus RT-N11) planning to replace it with Asus N16 or N66U ; im open for suggestion or recommendation for the best router for this setup.

Currently this is the computer that i have; that i want to convert to a NAS
mb: MSI 785GM-E65
cpu: AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 440 Processor
mem: 4gb - ecc (currently)
mem: 16gb - ecc (need to buy)(around $80 per 8gb)
net: intel chipset NIC (need to look for intel based NIC card locally most of the NIC available here are Realtek)

2x 2tb WD green (sata1 i think not yet the 3gb/s need to check later)
1x 250gb Seagate (ide)
1x 40gb ide (boot) or buy 3 new 4gb (flash drive) (boot/update/backup)
--- i'm a bit confused on which of this option would be best for boot up device.

--- i dont know also if its possible to have the 250 gb (IDE) be use as one of the storage device along with the 2 SATA 2tb WD green

dvd: DVD writer

future plan
2x3 tb wd red
(pci -sata contoller) i dont think this is neccesary

PSU 500w (80 bronze) (coolermaster)

- currently my 2 x 2tb WD Drives already have files and movies on it
2tb (70% full)
2tb (90% full)
- if i convert from Win7 to FreeNAS would all my files currently in the hardrive be wipe-out
- what would be the best thing to do with this.

With this would it be possible for a RaidZ1 setup. Any comments, suggestions or recommendation would be highly appriciated. Thank you.

Mat

cyberjock

Inactive Account
This is NOT a guide.. moving to the noobie section.

Status
Not open for further replies.