Need a UPS that supports ESXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fry256

Cadet
Dear community, Looking for a UPS that will support ESXI through hacking or normal support.
Would appreciate it if anyone could help me with this, as i know buying a UPS you cannot send it back to most retailer due many policies.

ian351c

Patron
What do you mean by "support ESXi"?

Since this forum is for FreeNAS and not so much ESXi, you might be better off asking in a VMWare forum...

Fry256

Cadet
I run my FreeNAS on Esxi, even though it's not recommended, I take responsibility if anything happens.

ian351c

Patron
Ah, in that case, I'm not sure where to point you from the UPS that support ESXi natively perspective. Usually, what I see is that the guest VMs will support a UPS via USB (or USB to serial) and you can assign the USB port to the VM. So in this case, you could assign the USB port to the FreeNAS guest and the use NUT to have any other guest VMs shut down when the UPS's battery gets low. That's about as much as I know about that though.

meth0s

Cadet
Hi There-

I have the following setup with my ESXi server at home:

I use a Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD UPS (one of the sine wave series) that is connected to my ESXi host via USB.

CyberPower has an OVF template you can deploy of their business edition software which also supports the sine wave series- This template is deployed as a VM (I think it's CentOS based)

My hardware supports VT-D (direct IO), so I pass through the USB hub to the CyberPower VM, and viola- some configuration steps later, it will power down my VM's and host (I configure the VM shutdown order in ESXi itself).

There's a pretty good guide here: http://www.tinkertry.com/configure-automated-shutdown-homelab-datacenter-15-minutes/

Hope this helps!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Moving to off-topic as this isn't FreeNAS....

cyberjock

Inactive Account
No worries. I just move stuff as appropriate. The important people will read it no matter what category it's in. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.