Getting FreeNAS to talk to my UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyanon

Dabbler
Hello everyone,

I've had a small FreeNAS home server running for a bit over a year now without any issues. I finally got around to buying a UPS for it for this week and I've spend the last few days trying to get it to talk to the server, and I'm sure if I just made a bad/completely incompatible choice or I just don't have the right configuration/driver yet.

This is the culprit here, an Opti-UPS GS1100B. Seemed like a good buy for its Watts/VA rating
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842107140

When I plug(USB) it into the server it identifies as a <POWERCOM Co.,LTD> (at ugen0.2) I've tried several drivers via the Web Interface GUI:

"Opti-UPS ups 1 PowerES 420E (optiups)" (It changes to "Viewsonic ups 1 PowerES 420E (optiups)" after I hit OK, I assume this is not an issue)

All of the "various" drivers, and many Powercom drivers on the off-chance one might work

The UPS came with a disc for windows, but when I checked online it says it has drivers for Linux/FreeBSD support as UPSilon 2000, which is why I hoped it would be fine. (That and I didn't really think a UPS needed anything to just send a signal to power down, just monitoring software)

Some of the web's threads I read hinted at the possibility of compiling FreeNAS with the needed drivers (UPSilon does have at least one driver mention under the various drivers, however)

Thanks for looking at my issue, really not sure where to go from here currently

edit:

If it helps, some of the various drivers I've tried have allowed me to turn the UPS service on, but most of them didn't.

The ones that wouldn't "load" at all would give me the message:
Warning: initial connect failed: Connection failure: Connection refused
and the ones that would "load" ("various" Innova and others) and allow me to turn on the UPS service would say:
Jan 14 04:46:58 freenas upsmon[19796]: Poll UPS [ups] failed - Driver not connected
Jan 14 04:46:58 freenas upsmon[19796]: UPS ups is unavailable
among other messages

Cyanon

Dabbler
Well after spending a couple hours trying figure out how to install the UPSilon 2000 software in a jail, just to see what would happen, it seems that it is only drivers for FreeBSD versions 2.x to 4.x..

I assume this would mean its pretty much a FreeNAS incompatible, windows only UPS?

One workaround I saw that seems possible is to have it connected to my windows computer, and have a script create a token file when it shut downs and have a cron job check for that file (and delete it before it initiates shutdown, seems like this would be my only option, although it seems less than ideal.

Seems like my best bet is to get a different UPS?

Cyanon

Dabbler
One more thing I found a more detailed connection message if it means anything for anyone

<POWERCOM Co.,LTD HID UPS Battery, class 0/0, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 2>

Status
Not open for further replies.