Nas seen on the web?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cattledog

Dabbler
Hi..I am a newbie with free nas, but all I wanted was it to be hidden behind my server (sme9.1.1) for my local network, as I use my server as a webpage server, why has it taken over from my sme?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
It's probably because of default ports, no? Your SME will have its webpage on port 80 for http, and so will your FreeNAS. If I'm understanding you correctly, you probably have two things trying to be on port 80. Maybe you want to change the FreeNAS port to something else (say, 8080, is a common choice when there's a conflict), then you would access the SME on http://128.1.2.3/ and you could access the FreeNAS on http://128.1.2.3:8080/
(obviously replacing 128.1.2.3 with the actual IP, duh).

The option for the FreeNAS port is right in the GUI/system setup.

That's, *IF* I have inferred what you're saying correctly. You didn't give a lot of details on how you were set up.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
so you arent behind a NAT device?
It wasn't quite clear what his network setup was. Sounded to me like the SME *was* the NAT/PAT device.

cattledog

Dabbler
It wasn't quite clear what his network setup was. Sounded to me like the SME *was* the NAT/PAT device.
My sme is a server/gateway conected to a router, so if I am understanding what you have said that nas is connected on 80port so to change that I would go lets say 192.168.1.56:8080?

cattledog

Dabbler
My sme is a server/gateway conected to a router, so if I am understanding what you have said that nas is connected on 80port so to change that I would go lets say 192.168.1.56:8080?
but I would asume that is if the ip are the same? but my server is a dhcp server name server

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
OK, cattledog. We need more information here. You have conflicting info.

What does your network topology look like?
What device is your gateway?
How are things connected?
there is no way that FreeNAS has taken over your SME unless you let it, then you would have conflicting IP addresses. Unless that IP address is an external address, you shouldnt see it from the internet. if you are forwarding port 80 from a router to your SME, then you obviously have assigned the FreeNAS the same IP address as the SME....

you have some major confusion going on here. what little you have described so far makes it impossible to 'take over your SME'

cattledog

Dabbler
OK, cattledog. We need more information here. You have conflicting info.

What does your network topology look like?
What device is your gateway?
How are things connected?
there is no way that FreeNAS has taken over your SME unless you let it, then you would have conflicting IP addresses. Unless that IP address is an external address, you shouldnt see it from the internet. if you are forwarding port 80 from a router to your SME, then you obviously have assigned the FreeNAS the same IP address as the SME....

you have some major confusion going on here. what little you have described so far makes it impossible to 'take over your SME'
I have open router to static ip, this is then conected directly to a 2x nic sme server, the 2nd nic connected to gig 24 prot hub unmanaged, this hub has freenas connected, rest of computers conected to hub

cattledog

Dabbler
If I read you correctly in network global config nameserver 1 is infact not the nameserver for the sme but nas nameserver?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
in FreeNAS, nameserver is the name of the server you want the FreeNAS box to communicate with to resolve DNS queries.

so let me get this straight.
you have a router that is fully open from internet to the SME
the SME acts as your router?
your freenas box is connected to a switch on the LAN side of the SME?

if that is the case, there is no way your FreeNAS took over your SME. unless your SME/router is forwarding port 80 to the FreeNAS box, its impossible for it to be reachable from outside your network.

What is the internal IP of the SME?
What IP is your FreeNAS?

cattledog

Dabbler
in FreeNAS, nameserver is the name of the server you want the FreeNAS box to communicate with to resolve DNS queries.

so let me get this straight.
you have a router that is fully open from internet to the SME
the SME acts as your router?
your freenas box is connected to a switch on the LAN side of the SME?

if that is the case, there is no way your FreeNAS took over your SME. unless your SME/router is forwarding port 80 to the FreeNAS box, its impossible for it to be reachable from outside your network.

What is the internal IP of the SME?
What IP is your FreeNAS?
FreeNAS is 192.168.1.28:8080 and SME 192.168.1.34 What I have done is taken out the DNS 192.168.1.34 from the FreeNas and all seem to be working the only thing I am worried about is that with a reboot I will be given another ip for FreeNas
I am about to find out with a reboot now!

cattledog

Dabbler
FreeNAS is 192.168.1.28:8080 and SME 192.168.1.34 What I have done is taken out the DNS 192.168.1.34 from the FreeNas and all seem to be working the only thing I am worried about is that with a reboot I will be given another ip for FreeNas
well just back from the reboot and it seems to be working fine.....I must had it port forward to 80 somewhere but really not sure where in sme...I checked port forward in sme and removed any concted to 192.168.1.28 I will try putting dns ip back in freenas to see what happens

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
well just back from the reboot and it seems to be working fine.....I must had it port forward to 80 somewhere but really not sure where in sme...I checked port forward in sme and removed any concted to 192.168.1.28 I will try putting dns ip back in freenas to see what happens
The DNS entry in freenas has nothing to do with a port forward. It's purpose is to have a nameserver to resolve a domain name to an IP address.

If you are forwarding ANY ports to the freenas you shouldn't be at this time. I have a feeling that there is a lot more wrong with your network than just a port forward.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

That should have no affect on FreeNAS' IP whatsoever. This just tends to reinforce pirateghost(and others reading this thread) that you really are not the person to be doing this. No offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.