NAS not detected in Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris369

Cadet
I everyone. This is my first post. Just recently set up my first NAS using FreeNAS v9.2.1.
Build:
i5 4570
Asus H87I-Plus
2 x 4Gb Ripjaws X
Evga GTX 650

I have 2 PCs on the network and only 1 of them is detecting the FreeNAS in the network. My main computer is not. Not sure why one is detecting and one is not. I would think it would be the settings on the computer itself, but not sure where to begin. Pleas help or link me to some possible answers. Thank you.

Yatti420

Wizard
I'm assuming your using CIFS? Can you access via IP?

Chris369

Cadet
Yes. Using CIF. I can access the GUI view web browser. Not sure how to access the CIF via IP though. Pretty new to NAS. I did do some research but figured this forum would be the best place to receive help.

indy

Patron
Usually these things work themselves out by trial and error.
If you want some advice you will have to post a lot more info on your network though.

ser_rhaegar

Patron
In the address bar of windows explorer, type:
\\192.168.1.20

Replace 192.168.1.20 with the IP of your FreeNAS box.

Chris369

Cadet
typing in the address into my internet explorer takes me to the I UI, no problems there. I'm trying to google why my CIF is not being detected by my main PC. The other one picks it up just fine.

ser_rhaegar

Patron
Use windows explorer and \\ NOT //

Chris369

Cadet
couldn't access the Ip through windows explorer. Error message "The file cannot be accessed by the system". I did Ping it and all packets were sent and received. Tried comparing the running services against the computer which detects the NAS and that doesn't seem to be the issue. Did some more Google searches and digging into my network settings with no progress made. All settings seem fine. Maybe a firewall issue, but even disabled the firewall and it still didn't display.

gpsguy

Use \\ipaddress\sharename in Windows Explorer

Sent from my phone

Chris369

Cadet
So I went ahead and connect my Laptop to the network. It see the Freenas also. So now only my personal Desktop doesn't detect the Freenas in the network. I'm at a loss. This is question may have to solved in a different forum.

Yatti420

Wizard
Everybody is in the same work group - I prefer to change my workgroup name.. Are you using hostname lookup in CIFS? This can make it slow.. Another thing I tend to do is use the global hostname database (gui) to append to "/etc/hosts".. http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Global_Configuration

gpsguy

Did you try: \\ipaddress\sharename in Windows Explorer

as I suggested?

So I went ahead and connect my Laptop to the network. It see the Freenas also. So now only my personal Desktop doesn't detect the Freenas in the network. I'm at a loss. This is question may have to solved in a different forum.

Chris369

Cadet
Problem Solved. Turned of the DHCP on my router. Turned it back on. And ensure my IPv4 was WINS was set to default. Stumble over myself but in the end, I think that's what did it.

gpsguy

I'm glad to hear that you fixed the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.