Wireless card not detected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I've done a great amount of Googling to try and figure this problem out, but I found very little information at all, let alone any that helped.

I'm a complete newbie to FreeNAS, and I want to try it out on my 13 year old Compaq Presario, which for the past couple of years has been running Windows 2000 and serving as my wireless NAS that way. The system has a D-Link DWL-G510 PCI wireless card, which works fine under Windows.

I have tried FreeNAS 7 and 8, and neither detect the card at all. My PCI ethernet card is detected fine (and I have actually gotten into the WebUI with the computer wired to my router), but not the wireless card at all. It doesn't show up in the list of network devices that can be configured, and from what I can tell it doesn't appear at any point in the scrolling text during the startup sequence.

I know that getting wireless networking running in FreeNAS requires a little tinkering, but I thought that it would at least detect the card as long as it is supported under FreeBSD (which from what I read it is, being based on an Atheros AR5005G chipset). Or have I misunderstood?

I realize that it would be simplest to just connect the computer to the router via ethernet, but just because of the way the computers in the house are set up, I would like to get it working through WiFi if possible.

Thanks,
Trent

Decided against it.

I've decided to just hardwire the FreeNAS computer to the router. It serves as a catalyst for rearrangements I've wanted to make, anyway.

I guess I should apologize for wasting forum space, haha.
Trent

Status
Not open for further replies.