NAS is really slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttabbal

Dabbler
Why not log in over SSH and do it locally, avoiding the network entirely? Network filesystems have a fair amount of overhead, that's likely not helping.

If you are doing it for speed testing, you might try eliminating the disks for a moment and test with iperf in bidirectional mode. That will tell you if your network itself can do 2 way traffic at full speed. There could be issues there like a marginal cable etc..

If that works, try using a ram drive on both sides, eliminating the disk I/O from the test..

morxy49

Contributor
Why not log in over SSH and do it locally, avoiding the network entirely? Network filesystems have a fair amount of overhead, that's likely not helping.

If you are doing it for speed testing, you might try eliminating the disks for a moment and test with iperf in bidirectional mode. That will tell you if your network itself can do 2 way traffic at full speed. There could be issues there like a marginal cable etc..

If that works, try using a ram drive on both sides, eliminating the disk I/O from the test..

Yeah, i usually log on locally when doing big transfers.

iperf seems like a really neat tool. If i understand correctly i have to install it both on mt PC and the NAS. How would one install iperf on the NAS, if i may ask?

EDIT: i just found out it's pre-installed... stupid me.

morxy49

Contributor

Yeah, according to iperf there's no bottlenecking in the network. I'm getting very close to Gigabit speeds.

ttabbal

Dabbler
How about a file share with a ram drive on both ends? Just trying to eliminate possible areas....

Status
Not open for further replies.