NAS into DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

melloa

Wizard
So right now my NAS is plugged into my router which is in a closet far far away from my office.. (thats where they decided to install my cable modem) I cant run cables and dont want to because i plan on moving in the next 6mo-1 year) so it would be a total waste of time and money.

It is? Productivity cost versus cable cost, what would weight more in your situation just depend on your need :)

I think my best solution is to move my NAS into my office and connect it directly to my workstation.. i know its not ideal but right now im looking for transfer speed above all else

Assuming you will continue using WiFi on your workstation for internet and a cable to connect to your FreeNAS. You might be with a configuration that you won't be able to connect to FreeNAS from the other PCs at your house, so back to cost?

Juvx

Explorer
Well, the steps to take to set up an IP address are covered in the respective documentation, so I won't go over those. Conceptually, though, you need to set up a different network. Suppose your router has an IP address of 192.168.1.1, and it's handing out IP addresses to the rest of your network. All your other devices are 192.168.1.x, where x is anything between 2 and 254.

When you set up the 10G NICs, you'll need to manually assign IP addresses, and they will need to not be in the 192.168.1.x range. For simplicity's sake set the IP address of the 10G NIC in your FreeNAS box to 192.168.2.1, and the one in your Windows box to 192.168.2.2. Both FreeNAS and Windows will allow other parameters to be entered when setting up those NICs; all but one are optional. You won't need to enter a default gateway, DNS server, or anything like that. You will need to enter a subnet mask, though. In Windows, that will probably be entered as 255.255.255.0. In FreeNAS, if you enter the IP address as 192.168.2.1/24, you'll be set.

When you connect to the share on the FreeNAS box from the Windows box, you'll then use that IP address--you'd connect to \\192.168.2.1\share.
Thank you ! that helps a lot

Juvx

Explorer
It is? Productivity cost versus cable cost, what would weight more in your situation just depend on your need :)

Assuming you will continue using WiFi on your workstation for internet and a cable to connect to your FreeNAS. You might be with a configuration that you won't be able to connect to FreeNAS from the other PCs at your house, so back to cost?

The only other PC i have in the house is a Macbook pro.. im fine with not connecting it to the NAS for now.

I do also have an extra AC router that im not using, would it be possible to use it as a separate network (put it in my office) and not connect it to the internet?
Connect my PC and NAS to it wired and everything else wireless on a separate SSID if needed? Downside would be that my speed would be much lower using the 1gbe network to my main PC vs 10gbe.

melloa

Wizard
The only other PC i have in the house is a Macbook pro.. im fine with not connecting it to the NAS for now.

I do also have an extra AC router that im not using, would it be possible to use it as a separate network (put it in my office) and not connect it to the internet?
Connect my PC and NAS to it wired and everything else wireless on a separate SSID if needed? Downside would be that my speed would be much lower using the 1gbe network to my main PC vs 10gbe.

Everything is possible, @Juvx. You now would have two NICs on your FreeNAS, One connected to your workstation, the other to a WiFi AP of some sort, your FreeNAS box disconnected from the internet - so no updates possible, etc. How much would cost to run a cable from your NAS to your office? Would a good Intel 1Gbit do what you need? Would you be better off working the file on your workstation and copying it to FreeNAS after finished? Do you have the technical expertise to do all required to setup and configure that network? Only you can answer those questions. Some times a simpler solution is a better solution. In my case, I've moved my servers' rack close to my desk, so I won't need to run cables back 'n forth to the KVM switch. Do I like the noise? Nope :)

Juvx

Explorer
Well, the steps to take to set up an IP address are covered in the respective documentation, so I won't go over those. Conceptually, though, you need to set up a different network. Suppose your router has an IP address of 192.168.1.1, and it's handing out IP addresses to the rest of your network. All your other devices are 192.168.1.x, where x is anything between 2 and 254.

When you set up the 10G NICs, you'll need to manually assign IP addresses, and they will need to not be in the 192.168.1.x range. For simplicity's sake set the IP address of the 10G NIC in your FreeNAS box to 192.168.2.1, and the one in your Windows box to 192.168.2.2. Both FreeNAS and Windows will allow other parameters to be entered when setting up those NICs; all but one are optional. You won't need to enter a default gateway, DNS server, or anything like that. You will need to enter a subnet mask, though. In Windows, that will probably be entered as 255.255.255.0. In FreeNAS, if you enter the IP address as 192.168.2.1/24, you'll be set.

When you connect to the share on the FreeNAS box from the Windows box, you'll then use that IP address--you'd connect to \\192.168.2.1\share.

One last questions because im dumb
Once I install the new 10 gbe NIC into my functioning freeNAS server, do i need to reinstall freeNAS? or how do i install drivers for it?
I hope the Chelsio S310E-CR 10Gb PCI-E are compatible.

I think ill test this out tonight over the exsisting 1gbe NICs first, I assume its the same exact process.

danb35

Hall of Famer
do i need to reinstall freeNAS?
Nope.
or how do i install drivers for it?
They're already there.
I hope the Chelsio S310E-CR 10Gb PCI-E are compatible.
They are compatible with FreeNAS. I assume they are with Win10 as well, though I admit I haven't touched Win10 yet.
I think ill test this out tonight over the exsisting 1gbe NICs first, I assume its the same exact process.
Correct.

Juvx

Explorer
Nope.

They're already there.

They are compatible with FreeNAS. I assume they are with Win10 as well, though I admit I haven't touched Win10 yet.

Correct.
Thanks a lot you've been a big help.

Juvx

Explorer
Nope.

They're already there.

Correct.
Is a crossover Ethernet cable required for the 1gbe NIC to NIC connection?

Juvx

Explorer
No, crossover cables are unnecessary with GbE.
hmm having problems connecting my pc nic to nas nic. i set windows ip
upload_2016-11-1_21-10-42.png

then added an interface in the freenas gui of
192.168.50.2/24 on one of the NICs

then connected them directly. :( not sure whats wrong but its not connected with i ping

Juvx

Explorer
I got it to work ! Sweet. Hitting sustained 100-110 MB/s transfer speeds so now I know for sure my issue was probably my router. Was only getting 5MB / sec.
I wonder if a gigabit switch to power line adapter would help.

danb35

Hall of Famer
It would probably be better than WiFi, but I still wouldn't expect anywhere close to line speeds.

snaptec

Guru
The wifi was the Problem.
Those powerline adapters are crap from what they make on hf side.
You want a stupid ethernet cable!

Or have a look at "pro" wifi. Ubiquiti f.e.
But dont expect anything near gigabit. 0-500mbit with unstable latency on an uac pro ac, depending on the Signal, if you have a low "Noise" on your channel

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
From what I've read recently, the newer powerline stuff is greatly improved over previous generations. You aren't going to get full GbE speed though. Could be worth looking into.

Juvx

Explorer
Looks like you'll be hard-wiring the house ... you know it makes sense.
;)
I still cant. Just doesnt make sense, i plan on moving in 4-6 months. Looks like ill add the 10gbe direct connection i just got in the mail (2 NICs and wire) and just keep the NAS next to my desktop PC for now.

Juvx

Explorer
From what I've read recently, the newer powerline stuff is greatly improved over previous generations. You aren't going to get full GbE speed though. Could be worth looking into.
Right now im getting 50-60 mbps connection to the web on speedtest through powerline, so its not terrible. By wifi on my macbook easily does 400-500 mbps on speedtest through wifi when im close by.
btw its Gb internet.

toadman

Guru
Right now im getting 50-60 mbps connection to the web on speedtest through powerline, so its not terrible. By wifi on my macbook easily does 400-500 mbps on speedtest through wifi when im close by.
btw its Gb internet.

The powerline is 10% of wireless speed and 5% of available bandwidth. If that's not terrible, can we agree it's well below average? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.