NAS into DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juvx

Explorer
Hi, I would like to use my FreeNAS system as a DAS, what would be the easiest solution?
I have 2 Ethernet ports on both my FreeNAS system and my Desktop PC would it be possible to aggregate the 2? Windows 10 to FreeNAS and create a fast DAS unit with 250-300 MB/s tranfer speeds?

My transfer speeds are horrid due to my lack of Ethernet cables in my house.. I have to run a wireless setup and I'm getting like 5-10 MB/sec transfer speeds.

If its not possible with FreeNAS, what other solutions would make this possible as far as OS on the Drive Unit? I don't want any fancy features, i just want to back up my Media as FAST as possible and possibly even WORK directly from the server folders (Mainly Pro photo editing), which is impossible at current speeds.

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
FYI: connecting to storage over Ethernet is still network attached storage. Not DAS

Juvx

Explorer
FYI: connecting to storage over Ethernet is still network attached storage. Not DAS

Yes technically you're right.
But that doesn’t really help.

Is it possible to have a peer to peer network windows 10 to FreeNAS?

Or what if i buy a managed switch between my PC and FreeNAS and aggregate them there? Would that work? Any suggestions on what switch.

Sorry guys I’m a photographer, not an IT guy, so any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is it possible to have a peer to peer network windows 10 to freeNAS?
Of course it is. It's not possible to aggregate the ports in the way you're describing, but it's quite possible to put one NIC in each machine on its own subnet, run a cable from one to the other, and away you go. If 1 Gb/sec isn't fast enough, buy these 10 GbE NICs and this patch cable and you should be set.

melloa

Wizard
Leaving DAS, NAS, etc on the side. You stated that you can't run cables on your house and is doing everything via wifi with slow through put, so I'd say you need to re-thing your home network. If you really can't run cable you will be limited to your wifi speed ...
So any solution that will allow you to:

WORK directly from the server folders (Mainly Pro photo editing), which is impossible at current speeds.

Will be restricted to wherever you have your server (your office?) so you can connect directly to it.

melloa

Wizard
Of course it is. It's not possible to aggregate the ports in the way you're describing, but it's quite possible to put one NIC in each machine on its own subnet, run a cable from one to the other, and away you go. If 1 Gb/sec isn't fast enough, buy these 10 GbE NICs and this patch cable and you should be set.

Is this cable crossover or it isn't needed? Any recommended switch to go with it, so I can setup a small 10 GbE N/W? Too many questions, I know ...

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is this cable crossover or it isn't needed?
I don't believe "crossover" is a relevant concept to these cables.
Any recommended switch to go with it, so I can setup a small 10 GbE N/W?
See @jgreco's 10G primer here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/10-gig-networking-primer.25749/

I have a Dell 5524 (24-port 1000Base-T, 2x SFP+) I picked up for about $200 on eBay. The Dell X1052 (48-port 1000Base-T, 4x SFP+) is somewhere on the order of $500-600 new

Stux

MVP
Using iSCSI across 10gbe is a reasonable approximation of a DAS. considering I can buy other 'DAS' units which uses iscsi.

SAN or DAS is perhaps in the eye of the beholder ;)

snaptec

Guru
If its just that one workstation, get a real das with esata or thunderbolt.
If you want zfs Features get 10gbe nics. Will be cheaper than a complete fn Server.
You dont need a Switch if its one Connection only.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Juvx

Explorer
Thanks !
Ill try to win the NICs and bought the cable linked.
Any tips on actually configuring the windows to freeNAS subnet? Or is it plug and play?

Juvx

Explorer
If its just that one workstation, get a real das with esata or thunderbolt.
If you want zfs Features get 10gbe nics. Will be cheaper than a complete fn Server.
You dont need a Switch if its one Connection only.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Yeah its only going to be one connection for now.
Might get a 10gbe switch in the future.

My main use right now is getting tons of data (photos and 4k video) off my PC in a timely manner and possibly editing photos and video straight from the NAS in the future. Its 20 TB mid range zfs server and dont want to unload that data and start over with a DAS but need more speed.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Thanks !
Ill try to win the NICs and bought the cable linked.
Any tips on actually configuring the windows to freeNAS subnet? Or is it plug and play?
You literally just manually configure the network adapter with an IP address and subnet that isn't on the normal LAN.

It doesn't matter what scheme you go with. Just as long as it's a different subnet from your normal traffic.

Juvx

Explorer
Leaving DAS, NAS, etc on the side. You stated that you can't run cables on your house and is doing everything via wifi with slow through put, so I'd say you need to re-thing your home network. If you really can't run cable you will be limited to your wifi speed ...
So any solution that will allow you to:

Will be restricted to wherever you have your server (your office?) so you can connect directly to it.

So right now my NAS is plugged into my router which is in a closet far far away from my office.. (thats where they decided to install my cable modem) I cant run cables and dont want to because i plan on moving in the next 6mo-1 year) so it would be a total waste of time and money.

I think my best solution is to move my NAS into my office and connect it directly to my workstation.. i know its not ideal but right now im looking for transfer speed above all else

Juvx

Explorer
You literally just manually configure the network adapter with an IP address and subnet that isn't on the normal LAN.

It doesn't matter what scheme you go with. Just as long as it's a different subnet from your normal traffic.
I guess google will be my best friend because i havent configured any networking in like 10 years lol If you dont use it, you loose it.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I guess google will be my best friend because i havent configured any networking in like 10 years lol If you dont use it, you loose it.
You haven't put a static IP address on anything?

Even your server?

You don't really have to do anything but assign some static IP addresses to your devices. No gateways, just an IP and a subnet

Stux

MVP
There is more to tuning 10gbe for great performance than just setting an ip.

Luckily the forum has lots of info.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
There is more to tuning 10gbe for great performance than just setting an ip.

Luckily the forum has lots of info.
We were talking about configuring the network...we never talked about tuning performance.

Juvx

Explorer
You haven't put a static IP address on anything?

Even your server?

You don't really have to do anything but assign some static IP addresses to your devices. No gateways, just an IP and a subnet
NO :(

danb35

Hall of Famer
Well, the steps to take to set up an IP address are covered in the respective documentation, so I won't go over those. Conceptually, though, you need to set up a different network. Suppose your router has an IP address of 192.168.1.1, and it's handing out IP addresses to the rest of your network. All your other devices are 192.168.1.x, where x is anything between 2 and 254.

When you set up the 10G NICs, you'll need to manually assign IP addresses, and they will need to not be in the 192.168.1.x range. For simplicity's sake set the IP address of the 10G NIC in your FreeNAS box to 192.168.2.1, and the one in your Windows box to 192.168.2.2. Both FreeNAS and Windows will allow other parameters to be entered when setting up those NICs; all but one are optional. You won't need to enter a default gateway, DNS server, or anything like that. You will need to enter a subnet mask, though. In Windows, that will probably be entered as 255.255.255.0. In FreeNAS, if you enter the IP address as 192.168.2.1/24, you'll be set.

When you connect to the share on the FreeNAS box from the Windows box, you'll then use that IP address--you'd connect to \\192.168.2.1\share.

Status
Not open for further replies.