BUILD Nas for Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I don't see any reason it wouldn't be fine, but haven't touched one myself that I can recall. You should be aware that the chassis has multiple versions, including some without redundant power which should be much less expensive - maybe by 25% or more.

Be aware that there's a newer version of the E3-1230v3 called the E3-1231v3, which may be a slightly nicer part. The X10SL7 and E3-1231v3 combo is very popular here.

The Avoton parts are also competent, but are about half the CPU power (Geekbench ~6000) of an E3-1231v3 (Geekbench ~13000). The Avoton's a fine choice if you know you don't need a massive fileserver that is also running other services like Plex video transcoding. For basic fileservice, that's probably the way to go, and that seems to be what you're after. The E3 route may be a little more expensive, but it will also leave you with a lot of potential to run a virtual machine or some jails if you ever decide you need some other services running 24/7.
On the other end of the LGA1150 spectrum, depending on use case you may be able to get by with a Pentium G32XX. There are also some i3 processors that support ECC RAM. That being said, I prefer to give myself some wiggle-room in case I misjudge how much CPU I need.

Borja

Contributor
I don't see any reason it wouldn't be fine, but haven't touched one myself that I can recall. You should be aware that the chassis has multiple versions, including some without redundant power which should be much less expensive - maybe by 25% or more.

Be aware that there's a newer version of the E3-1230v3 called the E3-1231v3, which may be a slightly nicer part. The X10SL7 and E3-1231v3 combo is very popular here.

The Avoton parts are also competent, but are about half the CPU power (Geekbench ~6000) of an E3-1231v3 (Geekbench ~13000). The Avoton's a fine choice if you know you don't need a massive fileserver that is also running other services like Plex video transcoding. For basic fileservice, that's probably the way to go, and that seems to be what you're after. The E3 route may be a little more expensive, but it will also leave you with a lot of potential to run a virtual machine or some jails if you ever decide you need some other services running 24/7.

I really appreciatte your comments. very useful. What other chassis with 8 hot-swap trays can you recommend me? I think redundant power supply can be convenient because the current nas is working 24/7 since 2008, so this nas will likely suffer the same use. I don't know what are the possibilities of PS fault connected to a battery backup that i understand filters peaks in the line. Thanks.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I really appreciatte your comments. very useful. What other chassis with 8 hot-swap trays can you recommend me? I think redundant power supply can be convenient because the current nas is working 24/7 since 2008, so this nas will likely suffer the same use. I don't know what are the possibilities of PS fault connected to a battery backup that i understand filters peaks in the line. Thanks.
If you end up getting a server with redundant PSUs, you should also have two separate battery backups (one for each power supply). I don't have much experience with pedestal servers. Chenbro has a chassis model (SR10769) that can be expanded to have 8 hotswap bays, but that's it as far as I know. Once you add in the PSUs, expansion modules, etc., the Chenbro chassis will probably cost the same as the supermicro one.

Status
Not open for further replies.