NAS construction for home and some doubts

atapigal

Cadet
Good morning everyone,

I plan to mount a NAS that replaces a 4-bay Seagate that right now has 1 hdd wd 4tb network, 1 hdd wd 3tb network, 1n hdd 1tb network and another like it. Everything is mounted with RAID0 with the risk that this entails. The decision at that time to create a RAID0 was for the transmission speed. Now with RAIDZ things change. I plan to mount a RAIDZ2 to pass the information from the Seagate NAS to the new FREENAS. I have purchased an 8TB wd network hdd and I plan to mount it together two conventional 1tb hdd each to have the three minimum drives for RAIDZ2. Once I have transferred all the information from the Seagate NAS, my idea is to take out one of the 1tb disks and first insert the 4TB wd network that was in the Seagate to expand the pool. The same for the second 1tb hdd, take it out and then insert the 3tb wd red hdd that was on NAS Seagate.

About all this, I have a question, is it a good plan? Is it possible to do what I tell?

The truth is that although I read the documentation, I am a low-level user when it comes to RAIDZ2 systems. I would like to know if that system will have a lot of speed difference with respect to the RAID0 that I have right now.

My equipment
Case: Fractal Design Node 304
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI
CPU: Intel i7 4790
RAM: 16Gb DDR3 1600mhz (8GB x2)
Power Supply: EVGA 500 W1
Storage: WD RED drives
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i
System Drive: SSD 120Gb ubs 3.0 connector motherboard to SSD cable.

I would appreciate all kinds of comments, since after the disbursement in HDD I would like to know if both the hadware to use and the system to mount FREENAS is correct.

Thank you very much to the forum in advance

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I have purchased an 8TB wd network hdd and I plan to mount it together two conventional 1tb hdd each to have the three minimum drives for RAIDZ2.
When you do this your pool will be approximately a little less than a terabyte. And I'm not sure you can even use raidz2 with 3 disks, it would be dumb to.

You need to know that when you mix drive sizes in a vdev you are limited to the usage of the smallest drive. So if you mix a 8TB with a 1TB you can only use 1TB of space from the 8TB disk.

Also your hardware selection isn't the greatest and if this is designed to be a freenas system I suggest you read the hardware post.

Pitfrr

Wizard
Hello,

Do I understand correctly that you want to create a RAIDz2 pool with drive of different size (starting with 8TB and 2x 1TB) and then extend the pool with the drives from the Seagate NAS?

Well this will not work as intended:
- if you mix different HDD size, FreeNAS will take the smallest HDD's size and you will end up with 3x 1TB... (as @SweetAndLow already mentioned)
- once created a pool can not be extended with additional drive (the only thing you can do is expend it with replacing with bigger drives one by one)

So you have to consider in advance what you want to do....

Also, the motherboard is not the best choice for FreeNAS since it has onboard audio and wifi that is useless for FreeNAS.
It also doesn't support ECC memory.

I don't quite understand: you have a 120GB SSD connected over USB3 on the motherboard? Not sure I would do that... :smile: I'd rather connect the SSD directly to a SATA port...

I would advise you to read the hardware recommandation and the quick hardware guide.

atapigal

Cadet
[QUOTE = "Pitfrr, publicación: 584199, miembro: 37137"]
Hola,

¿Entiendo correctamente que desea crear un grupo RAIDz2 con una unidad de tamaño diferente (comenzando con 8TB y 2x 1TB) y luego extender el grupo con las unidades del Seagate NAS?

Bueno, esto no funcionará según lo previsto:
- si mezcla diferentes tamaños de HDD, FreeNAS tomará el tamaño de HDD más pequeño y terminará con 3x 1TB ... (como [USER = 34238] @SweetAndLow [/ USER] ya mencionado)
- una vez creado, un grupo no se puede ampliar con una unidad adicional (lo único que puede hacer es gastarlo reemplazando con unidades más grandes una por una)

Por lo tanto, debe considerar de antemano lo que quiere hacer ...

Además, la placa base no es la mejor opción para FreeNAS ya que tiene audio y wifi integrados que son inútiles para FreeNAS.
Tampoco es compatible con la memoria ECC.

No entiendo: ¿tiene un SSD de 120GB conectado a través de USB3 en la placa base? No estoy seguro de hacer eso ... :) Prefiero conectar el SSD directamente a un puerto SATA ...

Le aconsejaría que lea la recomendación de hardware y la guía rápida de hardware .
[/CITAR]

For the attention of SweetAndLow and Pitfrr

Hello again, For starters, I would like to thank the two messages received so quickly. What an excellent community. To begin with, already acquired the first knowledge and that is that RAM must be ECC, which I did not know. Regarding the question of construction, I very much appreciate the comments, since it has become very clear to me that the idea I had was totally wrong. At this point and with the information that I have provided, would there be any way to bring this transfer of information to fruition?

As for the theme of the chosen motherboard, it is simply because I do not need it and if I can save on the motherboard, great.

As for the connection of the ssd through the usb 3.0 connection of the motherboard, I do it so as not to lose a SATA socket and take advantage of up to 6 that the motherboard has.

Thanks in advance

atapigal

Cadet
Hello again,

Maybe I should start mounting 4 1tb disks that I have on brakes and then gradually removing and adding the smallest wd 3tb network first, 4tb second and 8tb third?

Or would I just have to opt for another type of RAIDZ?

Thanks again in advance

Pitfrr

Wizard
I would do following:
I would got for 8TB drives for FreeNAS in RAIDz2 (6 drives, more if I could afford).
And I would use the actual Seagate NAS for backup (so keep it as it is for now and eventually evolve the disk size later on if more space is required).

Regarding the hardware, you can have a look at second hand server grade stuff it might be a good compromise.

atapigal

Cadet
[QUOTE = "Pitfrr, publicación: 584212, miembro: 37137"]
Yo haría lo siguiente:
Conseguiría unidades de 8TB para FreeNAS en RAIDz2 (6 unidades, más si pudiera pagar).
Y usaría el Seagate NAS real para la copia de seguridad (así que manténgalo como está por ahora y eventualmente evolucionará el tamaño del disco más adelante si se requiere más espacio).

Con respecto al hardware, puede echar un vistazo a las cosas de grado de servidor de segunda mano, podría ser un buen compromiso.
[/CITAR]

Hola,
I would do following:
I would got for 8TB drives for FreeNAS in RAIDz2 (6 drives, more if I could afford).
And I would use the actual Seagate NAS for backup (so keep it as it is for now and eventually evolve the disk size later on if more space is required).

Regarding the hardware, you can have a look at second hand server grade stuff it might be a good compromise.

Thank you very much for the advice. The first conclusion I come to is that I must continue studying, haha. I will continue asking if you allow me, in case more doubts arise.

Many thanks

atapigal

Cadet
I would do following:

Good again,

I think I'd better go for a board that I'm also going to leave unused with a b350 socket am4 chip with a ryzen 1700. That board does natively support ECC memory so I think it will be the best solution.

Indeed, as you say, the best thing will be to wait to be able to have 4 or 5 8tb hdd for the RAIDZ2 system.

Thanks for everything

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Good again,

I think I'd better go for a board that I'm also going to leave unused with a b350 socket am4 chip with a ryzen 1700. That board does natively support ECC memory so I think it will be the best solution.

Indeed, as you say, the best thing will be to wait to be able to have 4 or 5 8tb hdd for the RAIDZ2 system.

Thanks for everything
No ecc is not required but most of the good hardware for freenas supports it and it's a good thing to have. This is why is very common and recommended for freenas.

I would not get an AMD build. They always have problems with freebsd. Yes eventually it works if you get the right combo of cpu and motherboard but I don't think your looking to figure it out, I think you just want it to work. If that's the case stick with Intel.

atapigal

Cadet
No ecc is not required but most of the good hardware for freenas supports it and it's a good thing to have. This is why is very common and recommended for freenas.

I would not get an AMD build. They always have problems with freebsd. Yes eventually it works if you get the right combo of cpu and motherboard but I don't think your looking to figure it out, I think you just want it to work. If that's the case stick with Intel.

Hi,

Thank you very much for the clarifications. I repeat, it is priceless to have such a willing community to help.

Decided. I will dispense with ECC and I will stay with the intel set with the i7 4790 although searching I have found a ddr3 memory at 1600mhz ECC but it is very expensive result / benefit ratio. And finally I will opt for a RAIDZ2 with 5 hdd of 8tb each. Thank you. Now to save. Thank you again.

Pitfrr

Wizard

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hi,

Thank you very much for the clarifications. I repeat, it is priceless to have such a willing community to help.

Decided. I will dispense with ECC and I will stay with the intel set with the i7 4790 although searching I have found a ddr3 memory at 1600mhz ECC but it is very expensive result / benefit ratio. And finally I will opt for a RAIDZ2 with 5 hdd of 8tb each. Thank you. Now to save. Thank you again.
I never said your current setup was good. I just said stick with Intel platform. Your motherboard will probably work but there is a chance it won't.

atapigal

Cadet
I never said your current setup was good. I just said stick with Intel platform. Your motherboard will probably work but there is a chance it won't.

Hi,

Sure enough, I've been reading that experiments with ryzen and b350 chips aren't going too well.

I will test the performance with intel.

Thank you very much again