My NAS seems unstable; Fatal Trap 9?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HHawk

Contributor
Okay, I don't know much about Unix, so before I start fooling around and lose stuff, I rather ask for some advice here...

Recently I am getting a Fatal Trap 9 errors (kernel panic) or something after 8+ hours most of the time. I don't know why this is happening, cause before it was working fine and my NAS could be online for several days. :(

Now maybe I need to increase (or change/add) one of the following settings:

vm.kmem_size="***"
vm.kmem_size_max="***"
vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable="x"

Currently these aren't in my loader.conf.

System specs:

- Gigabyte GA-870A-USB3 (I think)
- 16 GB RAM (4x4GB)
- 6x 2TB WD EARS in Raidz2
- 2x2 Dual Port Intel network controller (running LACP with compatible switch)

I already tried to read the ZFS tuning guide and tried to understand it, but for someone coming mainly from Windows, it's kinda hard to understand. So if anyone can tell me what to try with what settings, I would be very grateful.

I understand to edit the loader.conf I have to type: mount -uw /
...but do I have to type something after am I done? Or can I just make the changes and reboot?

I am sorry if I sound like a complete noob. I just want my NAS to be stable with good speeds... :(

//edit

Oh and happy x-mas by the way!!

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi HHawk,

First question is are you running the AMD64 build?

Next thing I would do is memtest the box with Memtest+ from memtest.org.....could just be you got some dodgy ram.

-Will

HHawk

Contributor
Yes it's AMD64. Okay I will run a test tomorrow. Maybe it's the ram, though I doubt it, but of course it could be possible. It's been running for 3 months without any problems before. :(

HHawk

Contributor
Thought I would post an update; one ram module was indeed crappy. :(
Anyways, removed it (for RMA) and it's now running stable on 12GB RAM. :)

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.