SOLVED My NAS keeps losing all network connectivity, nothing on local console.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rpgwaiter

Dabbler
Seemingly at random, my server running FreeNAS will completely lose all connectivity. My SMB shares die, I can't connect to the server through the web console. Nothing.

At first I thought it was related to a recent change to FreeNAS 11, so I downgraded to FreeNAS 9, where I never had this issue before. Still having it.

It takes roughly 4-12 hours after a reboot for this to happen, but it *does* work normally for some time after rebooting. I have a monitor hooked up to the server, and it shows absolutely no changes or errors. Just the regular "press whatever to do things" screen, IP and all.

This is also not a problem with my networking equipment, as I have tried moving to a different switch and had the same issues. The weird thing is that the switch still detects the server and is giving it an IP. I cannot ping this machine though.

The local console still works, and the server is currently in the state of no connectivity. Is there any way I can diagnose what's happening with the local console?

Information:

Currently using a Supermicro 24-bay chassis, Supermicro Motherboard (not sure of the model), 3 HBAs, 8x3TB WD Red HDDs (SMART status is fine on them). Currently running FreeNAS 9 (Not able to tell the revision because of its current state, but it should be the latest FreeNAS 9). Sorry this configuration information isn't more helpful, pulling the machine from its current location to look at hardware isn't feasible.

Rpgwaiter

Dabbler
Have you tried changing the network cable?

Yes, I have. It's not a connectivity problem I don't think. The server works just fine for a while after booting, it just dies randomly. It's like the server is actively refusing my connection to it.

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

wblock

Documentation Engineer
An IP address conflict would do that. Is the server set to a static IP address? Have you configured your DHCP server to not give out that address to something else? If something else is using that IP address, it won't be working either.

Rpgwaiter

Dabbler
An IP address conflict would do that. Is the server set to a static IP address? Have you configured your DHCP server to not give out that address to something else? If something else is using that IP address, it won't be working either.

I removed all computers from my domain and killed the DC vm. Seemed to have some conflict with the DHCP on the DC and my router. Seems to have solved the issue. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.