My Intro and system

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgregory

Contributor
Want to say thanks to the developers and those here on the forum for a great product and project and support.

My Home server Set-up. Although I am not an IT pro (or anything close) I did have some exposure to UNIX while in grad school in the 80’s. So that puts me at the entry Noob level since I have been a strong (not power) windows user ever since.

I do run a virtualBox for simulation and have read CyberJocks presentation.

The System:

FreeNAS 9.2.1.5 x64

Supermicro 2U Server with X8DTN mb
2x Xeon E5520 2.26ghz Quad Core
24gb ECC RAM
6 x 3Tb Seagate NAS HDD In RAIDZ2
Redundant power supplies
Intel Pro 1000 dual Port NIC installed.
Running LAGG configured on three ports in LACP mode.

With redundant power supplies I have 2 APC 1500 Smart UPS’s one for each power supply. They also provide UPS service to my pfsense box and FreePBX system and DELL switch.

I put all of this into a wooden rack that I built. I still have my old WHS media server hooked up which I now use for Home PC back-ups and limited file storage. It is a bit of a power hog but will work for a while as I get more comfortable with operating system, freeNAS, and the hardware.

I do have another 6 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda drives and a M1015 card in IT mode which can be seen in the picture made during testing. I am not currently using that and have them removed since I don't need the space yet. No sense in having them spin for nothing. I will add them to the pool later when needed as a new VDEV in RAIDZ2 config.

Based on what I have read on the forums this should be a pretty stable system with decent reliability. If you see something to make it better let me know.

sgregory

Contributor
Sorry here are the pics

Attachments

• freeNAS.jpg
    freeNAS.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 318
  • Server1.jpg
    Server1.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 285
  • Server.jpg
    Server.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 293
Reactions: DJ9

Fr Jonah

Dabbler
Very nice... what kind of shares are you running and what transfer speeds do you see?

sgregory

Contributor
Presently I have CIF shares since all but one of the computers are Windows based. For user access to the pool I have individual/family/and public accounts.

Using Iperf I have had three client PC's hit the server with individual transfer rates hitting 700 to 795 Mb/sec simultaneously.
In real world I see 90-95 Mb/sec on file transfers. Not sure if that is a good rate or not for CIFS

Fr Jonah

Dabbler
Interesting... I'm seeing in the 85 - 90 mb/s range on CIFS as well, though I'm still tinkering :) Nice setup!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Generally anything over 80MB/sec is considered "good" in my book. If you're running SSDs you might see more.

Status
Not open for further replies.