Intro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lim

Cadet
Hello Forum,

first of all *** T H A N K S *** to everyone who contributed to FreeNAS! Fabulous.

Yes, I’m still just another FreeNAS noob, a home user without prior FreeBSD experience (sigh!), but happily using FreeNAS for more than a year now. It just works fine. It took me some time to read up on FreeNAS, of course, but it was worth it.

Why did I go for FreeNAS?
Two events roughly coincided: I detected data corruption on my low budget, not even old home NAS, and I read a computer magazine article about self-built home server solutions including a recommendation to use FreeNAS (c’t 2/2014, http://www.heise.de/ct/14/02/links/116.shtml, German).

For what purpose?
Up to now I want nothing more than a reliable (!) file server for my wife’s professional use and for family document sharing, at moderate acquisition and operating costs. I know it won’t release me from the duty to backup the data to protect it from misuse, malware, theft, or disaster. So far it is only accessed from my home LAN by Windows users.
Of course I tried to get an impression of whether FreeNAS would be the right thing for me. All the experienced forum members here appear pleasantly moderate about it... but, hey, if FreeNAS is well configured and running on decent hardware, is there any other affordable and at least equally reliable and trustworthy home NAS solution?

What hardware did I choose?
I initially followed the guidelines from the computer magazine and, after reading http://forums.freenas.org/index.php...ning-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/, which was of great help, I added another 2 hard disks, 8GB of RAM and a UPS(huge thanks to Cyberjock for his must-read guide!). So I ended up with
1x ASUS P9D-X iC222
1x Intel Core i3-4130T
2x Kingston ValueRAM DIMM 8 GB ECC DDR3-1600
4x Western Digital 3TB WD30EFRX Red
1x Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 ATX
1x be quiet! System Power 7 300W ATX
1x USB 32GB Kingston DataTraveler Micro
1x UPS AEG Home Protect 600

How did I prepare?
I changed some BIOS settings as advised by the magazine though FreeNAS may not support some power saving settings (I hope this is not counter-productive):
Advanced -> CPU Configuration -> Package C State demotion : Enabled
Advanced -> CPU Configuration -> Package C State limit : C6
Advanced -> PCI Subsystem Settings -> PCI Express Settings -> ASPM Support : Auto
Monitor -> FAN Speed Control : Low Speed Mode
Advanced -> APM -> Power On By PCIE : Enabled
Advanced -> APM -> Restore AC Power Loss : Power On
After assembling the machine I used Ultimate Boot CD on a USB stick to test the RAM with Memtest86+ and each hard disk with the extended test from Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for DOS (Western Digital), and I increased the hard disk’s park delay time from 5s to 300s by “wdidle3 /s 300” to limit their load cycles (as suggested in the German forum; and I found http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/hacking-wd-greens-and-reds-with-wdidle3-exe.18171/ with more background). The two newer drives already had the value set to 300. Anything I forgot to do?

How did I setup FreeNAS?
All in all, setup was less complex than expected, having the GUI and the User guide next to each other on the screen. Beforehand again Cyberjock’s presentation and the “FreeNAS 9.1 Setup Guide” post by fishinfiend gave a helpful overview.
I decided against encryption because I fear the extra complications if something goes wrong. It’s more a vague feeling. It appears to me that for a home user the only benefit of encryption is that in the hopefully unlikely event of a theft no one could access the data.
I set up a single RaidZ2 VDev and I do regular scrubs. The only services I run so far are CIFS (with Unix style ACLs) and SMART. I did not yet succeed in setting up my UPS properly, but that may be a topic of another post.

Meanwhile I did several updates without notable problems. I hope I can rely on FreeNAS for the next couple of years.

Thanks again to all developers and contributors.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
(screaming) WELCOME TO FREENAS!!! ENJOY YOUR DATA!!!!

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Welcome Lim!
As you can tell by jgreco's response, we love people who read!

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Ok grumpy, you don't:p

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
When/If you have the time, feel free to tell us about your experience with that motherboard. It's not a common choice around here, so it'd be nice to have some data about it.

Lim

Cadet
It's an ASUS P9D-X iC222 Rev. 1.03, BIOS updates from version 407 to 704 (required jumpering) and to 1003.
Reasonably priced server board, no problems with it, but to be honest I have nothing to compare it to.
Boot times: 47s to boot selection screen, plus 2min to boot FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201503270027. But it rarely boots... however, last year I observed a few (~3) boot hangs with FreeNAS 9.2.1.2 or 9.2.1.3 that I could not reproduce, and that might not be related to the motherboard.
The system is consuming 53W when running idle.
I am fully satisfied with transfer speeds, 96MB/s Write and 118MB/s Read according to "ATTO Disk Benchmark" and observed in Windows. I couldn't expect more.
Please let me know if you'd like to see any specific benchmark or information – however I might need support then ...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, after the recent fiasco where Asus is claiming support for CPUs that Intel doesn't support, Asus has lost all credibility on my book. So good luck on your purchase. I hope it works out for you. God knows we have plenty of people who have had problems with Asus in the past.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I still love this line:

the Supermicro people who provide support know that a "server" isn't the waiter in a restaurant.

a.k.a. "the problem with most consumer grade board manufacturers."

Lim

Cadet
Well, after the recent fiasco where Asus is claiming support for CPUs that Intel doesn't support, Asus has lost all credibility on my book. So good luck on your purchase. I hope it works out for you. God knows we have plenty of people who have had problems with Asus in the past.

Thanks for your hint.
What Asus/Intel compatibility issue are you referring to?

Granted, when I ordered the hardware more than a year ago I was only relying on the magazine (a renowned one at least), and I was not aware of the reservations here. I wish there had been some more in-depth information about FreeNAS in the article, but I'm thankful they helped me getting started. At that stage I only glanced through the forums and I was happy to find out that they are lively (and that I'm not cynophobic).

The good thing about it: You'll get to know if anything goes wrong with that Asus board.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
ASUS was recently called out for claiming ECC compatibility with certain CPU's. The root problem was Intel and the Intel ARK lying about ECC availability on certain Intel CPU's, but, still, sloppy all around.

The real question for a consumer grade manufacturer like ASUS is whether or not they've done any sort of validation of a feature like ECC, and how (or whether) that information is presented to the operator of the system.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Actually, its worse than that. Asus is claiming compatibility of some CPUs with a chipset that Intel has already said is not supported.

The ECC was a separate issue, but it resulted in question-asking by end-users...

https://communities.intel.com/message/283488#283488

Status
Not open for further replies.