My FreeNas Parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkyBoy

Cadet
Hi all,

I have a server that I was using for Windows Home Server 2011 and am going to try FreeNAS out, just wanted to list my parts to see if they are ok?

CPU - Pentium Duel Core E5700 @ 3.00GHz
RAM - Crucial CT12864BA1067.M8FG (2 x 1GB sticks (wanting to upgrade to 2 x 4GB sticks for ZFS so suggestions welcome)
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-G41MT-D3V
OS Drive - 8GB USB stick
Storage - 3 x 2TB WD Reds
PSU - 450w

All critisism and recommendations are welcome as im a complete FreeNAS NOOB and have had a play about with the OS already and am frustrated with it lol :)

Thanks

Knowltey

Patron
Doesn't support ECC at all which is required for ZFS or you are just asking for trouble, but more glaringly you are WAY WAY below minimum requirements for RAM. FreeNAS requires a minimum of 8GB for stability, so your 2x1GB sticks aren't going to cut it.

Get 8GB of RAM and feel free to use it to get familiar with FreeNAS but don't trust it with any actually important data unless you have ECC RAM. (For a "getting familiar with FreeNAS rig" you can get away with 4GB possibly depending on pool size, but it might not be stable and performance will be really really bad.)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, you should stop and RTFM. :)

You need MUCH more RAM as Knowltey said. You also need ECC RAM if you want reliability for ZFS. Just getting ECC RAM means new motherboard, CPU, and RAM for you. Probably not something you were expecting, but its clearly documented in the first few sections of the manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.