Can't install FreeNAS - moving cursor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synaps3

Cadet
I have a new file server that I am setting up FreeNAS 8.3 on. My current server is running version 0.7 of FreeNAS and I've never had any problems with it. For some reason I can't get it to complete boot-up from CD on my new server. Basically, when I power on the system, it begins reading the CD and gets up to "BIOS CD is cd0", then the cursor starts moving around the screen to random positions. After about a minute of this, the CD stops reading and spins down. I've tried both x86 and 64 versions of 8.3 also tried 8.0.4 and 0.7. All of them do the same thing. I've also tried several different CD drives. My next idea is to do a memtest although I don't think that's a problem because win 7 has been running fine on this system before. I really need a solution to this soon. I'd appreciate any small suggestions.

Here is my hardware:
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-G41MT-S2PT LGA 775 Intel G41
CPU: Pentium 4 3.0GHz 800MHz FSB 64-bit Hyper-Threading
RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333
RAID Card: 3ware 9650SE-16ML (says compatible with FreeBSD)

Misc:
1 IDE CD drive
1 SATA 80GB WD hard drive
4 SATA 1TB WD hard drive (RAID 10)

I've also recreated a screen shot of what happens with VirtualPC.
screen_freenas.jpg

JaimieV

Guru
I can't help with the issue - sounds like some sort of motherboard incompatibility to me - but I wanted to be sure you knew this:
Since it's currently running 0.7, are you aware that the FreeNAS project split and the successor to FreeNAS7 is NAS4Free, while FreeNAS8 is more of a reimplementation?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
FreeNAS .7 is NOT related to FreeNAS 8.x at all. Totally different project. Visit NAS4Free for support with FreeNAS .7. There is a stickied thread tell you this is the wrong forum.

Synaps3

Cadet
I can't help with the issue - sounds like some sort of motherboard incompatibility to me - but I wanted to be sure you knew this:
Since it's currently running 0.7, are you aware that the FreeNAS project split and the successor to FreeNAS7 is NAS4Free, while FreeNAS8 is more of a reimplementation?

Didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

FreeNAS .7 is NOT related to FreeNAS 8.x at all. Totally different project. Visit NAS4Free for support with FreeNAS .7. There is a stickied thread tell you this is the wrong forum.

I understand, but I'm not asking about FreeNAS 0.7. I'm asking about FreeNAS 8. The reason I mentioned 0.7 was because I was demonstrating that it was having the same error, but what I'm really trying to do is install FreeNAS 8 on my new server.

Synaps3

Cadet
Well, figured out the problem, but I don't know how to fix it. When I take out the RAID card it boots fine.

Synaps3

Cadet
Got it working. There was some kind of BIOS loader in the RAID card that was causing the problem.

Went into the RAID card configuration by pressing Alt+3. Then:

settings -> bios options -> load control - disabled

I decided to go with NAS4Free because I needed to use the extra space on the OS drive as a cache. I also didn't want to mess with getting transmission installed on FreeNAS and NAS4Free still has it installed by default.

JaimieV

Guru
Thanks very much for posting back with the answer, always appreciatd. Have fun with the build!

Status
Not open for further replies.