My first (little) FreeNAS

Mr. Slumber

Contributor
RAM: 64GB - Transcend TS2GLH72V1B 4x 16GB
  • ECC RAM with 2133 MHz clock
  • in order to support 64 TB of raw storage

Not sure but you should check wether your Supermicro board supports reg-dimm (that's the one you posted) or u-dimm. Sadly in most cases reg-dimm is cheaper and u-dimm more expensive and there isn't as much variety of u-dimms. Had to find that out the hard way with one of my servers. Just sayin' ... ;)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I might be wrong(and someone please correct me if I am), but I do think that the old rule of thumb that states "1GB of RAM for 1GB of storage" is referring to actual used storage, not Raw storage. If I am correct in this, you would not need 64GB of RAM, but then again, you can never have enough RAM :p
No, it is a rule of thumb. It is not exact and discussing whether it applies to raw storage or usable storage is a waste of time because it is a rule of thumb.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Not sure but you should check wether your Supermicro board supports reg-dimm (that's the one you posted) or u-dimm. Sadly in most cases reg-dimm is cheaper and u-dimm more expensive and there isn't as much variety of u-dimms. Had to find that out the hard way with one of my servers. Just sayin' ... ;)
It's a Xeon E5-2xxx. It takes UDIMMs, RDIMMs and LRDIMMs.

pro lamer

Guru
It's a Xeon E5-2xxx. It takes UDIMMs, RDIMMs and LRDIMMs.
Supermicro x10 Xeon E5 motherboards seem not to accept UDIMMs anymore (comparing to older x9 ones). At least the one mentioned above:
Memory Type
  • 2400†/ 2133/1866/1600MHz ECC DDR4 SDRAM 72-bit, 288-pin (RDIMM / LRDIMM) / 284-pin gold-plated DIMMs

Sent from my phone

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
They do, it's just a marketing thing.

pro lamer

Guru

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I haven't tried it myself, since I don't have one, but it'd be extremely weird if they didn't. The CPUs support UDIMMs, so that's not a problem. They could conceivably do some firmware trickery to not support UDIMMs, but that'd be very weird.

pro lamer

Guru
I've just come into this:
Asrock claims support for ECC UDIMM
I talked with local Supermicro rep and he said that the Xeons actually support ECC UDIMMs but Supermicro doesn't make statements as they don't work with the cheaper no-name memory.
Fwiw

In other words the below seems true

Otoh: are the X10 C61x motherboards as memory picky as x10 and x11 Xeon E3 mobos are? Then maybe the OP try sticking to the QVL or at least get ready for a return... (?)

Sent from my phone

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Most boards aren't very picky at all, that's what the spec is for. If I had to guess, I'd say that Kingston played a little bit too much with the spec to be able to use lower-binned components and the X10s were on the lower end of what is acceptable according to the specs.

Of course, the equipment to actually test this theory would easily buy a literal truckload of servers, so we'll probably never know.