My first official FreeNAS build TYAN s8229

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningwon

Dabbler
Hello freenas gurus!

After toying with freenas for months on an old pc just laying around I finally (maybe) have something I can use.

First the intent.

I want to use it to host all of my data in my home (SMB) and remotely (nextcloud) and I want to get off cloud services (google drive)

The number of users is small just me and my wife for now, later I want to build another freenas box for my wife's business that will serve about 20 users and I will configure replication between the box at her business and our home that should take care of off site backups.

I do not intend to use jails (I just can't get nextcoud to work in a jail) I have a UBUNTU server running nextcoud on another server for that. (I am totally not bashing freenas for my inability to make it work)

Here is what I have:

TYAN s8229 2RU server with 12 hotswap bays (LSI SAS 2008 in IT mode), 4 sea-gate iron wolf 4TB NAS drives, 2 160GB intel SSD's for R/W cache 2 AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 4122 at 2.2ghz, and 32GB of ECC DDR3.

I know that this is old hardware but the TYAN server was part of an IT upgrade years ago that was scrapped and it set on the shelf for years never even powered on and recently they decided to throw it out.

The only thing that I purchased was the hard drives.

does anyone see any pitfalls for such a build?

I have already made a mistake and created the volume as z1 so I intend to invest in 6 more drives (8 or 10 TB) create a volume set as z2 and migrate the data.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.