My Custom Built NAS Will it work

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris crude

Patron
Will it work? Yes. Will your data be safe? Not without ECC RAM. Choose a mobo that fully supports ECC RAM and then choose ECC RAM to go into it.
If you want to do anything like jails, Plex, or VMs you want a better processor.
This looks like a nice home build, not server grade.

chris crude

Patron
Not overkill at all if you want to use FreeNAS as more than just storage. Looks like ECC support and a better processor. If you really want the BeQuiet heatsink/fan you can, but the Xeon comes with one and does a good job.
EDIT---The Cpu is good enough to do anything, will fit in the motherboard, and everything is ECC. But I don't contribute to these build threads often, i hope some of the regulars with a better eye comes along to say OK also.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Is there a special reason you want to build a system that only has four hot swap bays?
Also, is there a reason for the rack mount system?

This system: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...987ef0&elqaid=3387&elqat=1&elqCampaignId=2864
While on sale, is only $169. pluss shipping and you can add your four drives and some RAM to it, done.

Inxsible

Guru
I second @Chris Moore 's suggestion. If 4 drives are all you need, you have a lot of cases that would be much cheaper than $130 for that Norco case. Do you need to have hotswap? Do you already have a rack that you can put the rackmount case in? If not, buying the rack and other accessories for it can get expensive fast. And if you don't have a rack, then no point in buying a rackmount case --- unless you want many drives that cannot fit in regular towers/desktop cases.

@Jake72 What is your use case? What do you intend to do with the machine is an important component when deciding the hardware. One size does not fit all. A Pentium G4400 is a great processor and we recommend that for many people, but it depends on the use case. If you plan on using multiple VMs, then no, you might need a better processor. On the other hand, if you just want storage, with maybe a couple of plugins then G4400 is great.

FWIW, I use a Pentium G3240 and I use Plex, CouchPotato, Radarr and Transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.