Will this rack mount server FreeNAS?

catnas

Explorer
EDIT: Please see latest post/update, here: https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/will-this-rack-mount-server-freenas.72652/post-540543

Thanks!

-----------------------

This is a build for 16x hot-swap 3.5", FreeNAS, plex etc, FEMP stack machine. No need to include HDDs at this time. Please let me know if anything is missing or mismatched. I am getting a LSI card even though the mobo has SATA ports. I believe this case includes miniSAS connections so if anything I should just need SAS cables to connect the backplane to the card (right?)

Case: NORCO RPC-3216 Black 3U Rackmount Server Chassis ($314.13) - http://www.norcotek.com/product/rpc-3216/
Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X10DRL-I ATX Server Motherboard Dual LGA 2011 R3 Intel C612 ($326.99)
CPU: Intel - Xeon E5-2620 V4 2.1 GHz 8-Core Processor ($414.78) x 2
Memory: Samsung - 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) Registered DDR4-2133 Memory ($138.99) x 2
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A8 FLX 29.67 CFM 80mm Fan ($15.88) x 4
Case Fan: Noctua A-Series NF-A6x25 FLX. 60mm Blades with AAO Frame, SSO2 Bearing Premium Fa ($14.95) x 2
Storage Controller: LSI LOGIC SAS 9207-8i Storage Controller LSI00301 ($104.17) (will need to find one in IT mode...)

Thanks for any input

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
This is a build for 16x hot-swap 3.5", FreeNAS, plex etc, FEMP stack machine. No need to include HDDs at this time. Please let me know if anything is missing or mismatched. I am getting a LSI card even though the mobo has SATA ports. I believe this case includes miniSAS connections so if anything I should just need SAS cables to connect the backplane to the card (right?)
Do you have some special reason for wanting new gear, because you could save significantly with the purchase of slightly older hardware.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

catnas

Explorer
Do you have some special reason for wanting new gear, because you could save significantly with the purchase of slightly older hardware.

I like the idea of building it myself and learning about server hardware, and I am wary (reasonably or not) of used components, especially eBay. With new components I know what I’m getting and the capabilities because I picked everything out. I will say that if it’s ~$900 for a used rig vs ~$1800 for a brand new rig comparably spec’d, I think i’d rather just buy new.

On the functionality side, I want something quiet. I tried to pick fans and PSU that wouldn’t be too loud.

Can we tell if there anything missing or mismatched in my proposed build?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I like the idea of building it myself and learning about server hardware, and I am wary (reasonably or not) of used components, especially eBay.
You can still build it yourself from components sourced from eBay. You are just being silly by insisting on spending more to buy new when used components are perfectly serviceable.

If you insist on purchasing new, there is no reason to purchase a dual socket system. You would be better off with a higher clock speed processor in a single socket system.

The only thing I see that is missing is the CPU coolers, you would need two with this build.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

catnas

Explorer
this is the board I would suggest using instead:
https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X10SRL-F.cfm
available at NewEgg for $258:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182927

Spend the money you save on the more expensive board and second processor to buy a single faster processor.

It's been a while since I posted, but my current ASRock mobo just died so it was time to build a new system anyway. I ended up taking your advice and I've ordered that motherboard. Thank you.

It's been several months since I last posted so I may have forgotten some of my research:

1. Do I absolutely need a storage controller? I am getting the case linked in the OP, so it has a backplane. Can I use SAS->SATA cables to connect the hard drives to the motherboard? Or do I need to get the storage controller so that FreeNAS properly identifies the disks?

2. If I do use the storage controller, it's just a simple matter of a SAS->SAS cable between the backplane and the controller, correct?

3. My USB sticks containing my FreeNAS install are alive and well, and of course I have all my hard drives (encrypted) from the now-dead server. Am I correct that this should basically be plug & play with respect to getting everything back online?

Thanks for all your help. This will be my first rack mount.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
NORCO RPC-3216 Black 3U Rackmount Server Chassis ($314.13)
Not in stock at NewEgg, but that is not the only source.
I am getting the case linked in the OP, so it has a backplane.
If it is like other Norco chassis, it will have a separate backplane for each horrizontal row of drives, like this:

1563479888357.png

An expander backplane like the Supermicro chassis I suggested is better, because it has less cabling. With this, each horrizontal row of drives needs it's own SAS cable. It is not an efficient way to connect the drives. If you insist on this chassis, I would suggest getting a SAS HBA and a SAS expander card to give you enough drive connectivity to run all the drives from one controller. Here are the specific items I would use if I were planning a build like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-H220-6G...0-IT-Mode-for-ZFS-FreeNAS-unRAID/162862201664

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-ServeR...on-Adapter-46M0997-Firmware-634A/163321588238

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SAS-cable-...71cm-AMPHENOL-XYRATEX-0953652-02/163697597606

This last item, the SFF-8087 cable, you will need one of those to go from the SAS HBA to the SAS Expander, and you will need one for each of the backplanes, so five should do it. You can use two cables to go from the SAS controller to the SAS Expander, but it is not required.
This specific vendor is a known supplier of quality parts on eBay. I have bought from him and been very happy with the items. He also creates useful videos like this one:

Explaining the IBM SAS-2 expander and how to do 24xHDD setup with only 2-port SAS controller
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qccpopxc_Uo
My USB sticks containing my FreeNAS install are alive and well, and of course I have all my hard drives (encrypted) from the now-dead server. Am I correct that this should basically be plug & play with respect to getting everything back online?
It should be, yes, but there have been people that had problems when the controller they were using did something special to the drives that prevented the drives from working properly with a different controller. That is one of the reasons we want direct access to the drives and no funny business.

catnas

Explorer
An expander backplane like the Supermicro chassis I suggested is better, because it has less cabling. With this, each horrizontal row of drives needs it's own SAS cable. It is not an efficient way to connect the drives. If you insist on this chassis, I would suggest getting a SAS HBA and a SAS expander card to give you enough drive connectivity to run all the drives from one controller.

This last item, the SFF-8087 cable, you will need one of those to go from the SAS HBA to the SAS Expander, and you will need one for each of the backplanes, so five should do it. You can use two cables to go from the SAS controller to the SAS Expander, but it is not required.
This specific vendor is a known supplier of quality parts on eBay. I have bought from him and been very happy with the items. He also creates useful videos like this one:

Explaining the IBM SAS-2 expander and how to do 24xHDD setup with only 2-port SAS controller

Thank you for continuing to reply. Since this chassis maxes out at 16 drives, is there any reason not to use two LSI HBAs? The drives are SATA (chassis accepts either SATA or SAS in the drive bays), but if the backplane is as you expect - one SAS for each row of 4 - then two HBAs should work right? Or is there an advantage to using a SAS expander with only one HBA? Really appreciate your time.