multiple programs in one jail

Mryusef1

Dabbler
I see that each plugin creates a new jail. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to having each program in a separate jail or will I get better performance with multiple programs in a single jail. I am currently running transmission, sonarr, jackett, radarr, and openvpn in a single jail so that all of the programs are behind the vpn without the host system being behind the vpn. I'm new to freenas so I'm still trying to get a good grasp of what affects performance.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
if you need to restart the jail for maintenance, upgrade or whatever, all your services are stopped, rather than just the one.

Sometimes, applications work better with different versions of things like java, PHP, python... you can't easily run multiple versions of them all in the one jail.

A jail is not a very large overhead (but it is a small one, so more jails=a little more resource used).

Up to you how you want to stack it or if you need it for the various apps to play nice.

fracai

Guru
Sometimes, applications work better with different versions of things like java, PHP, python... you can't easily run multiple versions of them all in the one jail.
Just an aside here and I can't speak to PHP, but it's very easy to run multiple versions of Java and Python. Python is happy to have multiple versions installed system wide and can easily specify an alternate installation directory if you need many versions. It also has virtual environments where you can have separate collections of modules installed. Java also can have a separate installation root to support any number of versions. Both python and java would then just specify the path or home to use for the desired application.

That said it is indeed very easy to set up multiple jails and in most cases it's going to be simpler to just spin up a new jail for your task. There is, as far as I'm aware, very limited performance hit of running multiple jails.

sretalla