Multiple Plugins in a single jail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catnas

Explorer
The other night, I got one plugin working -- installed through the plugin tool. Then I tried to use the upload plugin icon in the jails menu to upload an additional pbi to the same jail. It worked, and I had both services successfully running. However, I began to have issues where settings and changes made within the plugins were not persistent after restart. I concluded that this must be a permissions issue (i.e., changes weren't actually being written to config files), but I'm not sure what to do to identify it or fix it. Is there a way to get a list of users running within a jail? I gather there's some chmod magic that needs to happen but I'll admit to being rather newbish in that regard.

Bottom line is, I'd really like to get more than one plugin running out of the same jail. As of now, I've deleted everything and am planning to start over. Would appreciate some help.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Why not create a standard jail, and install your applications using pkg or portsnap? When using the pkg method, you can just run pkg update && pkg upgrade in the jail and your applications will be updated.

catnas

Explorer
Why not create a standard jail, and install your applications using pkg or portsnap? When using the pkg method, you can just run pkg update && pkg upgrade in the jail and your applications will be updated.
That is a fair point -- so I created my own jail and did this using pkg install _[name]_. I can't get access to sab though. sonarr is running and i have access to it in the browser, but not sab. when i check with onestatus it says that sab is running and i have a process id. any thoughts?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
That is a fair point -- so I created my own jail and did this using pkg install _[name]_. I can't get access to sab though. sonarr is running and i have access to it in the browser, but not sab. when i check with onestatus it says that sab is running and i have a process id. any thoughts?
You will have to check your sab config

dedeaux

Dabbler
I found myself pondering this type of setup as I have a little free time to fiddle with stuff this week.

Any major caveats to combining several plugin jails to a single standard jail? For example, I have separate sabnzbd and transmission jails... Maybe making a 'downloader' Jail? I would love to hear if this is advisable.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I found myself pondering this type of setup as I have a little free time to fiddle with stuff this week.

Any major caveats to combining several plugin jails to a single standard jail? For example, I have separate sabnzbd and transmission jails... Maybe making a 'downloader' Jail? I would love to hear if this is advisable.

My 'downloads' jail is a plain jail. No plugins. I installed everything I needed for all my download automation and Usenet via pkg or portsnap. It took me a couple of hours to configure all of it, but when handing off things from sonarr or sickbeard/rage to nzbget/sab, it's all localhost. This makes it easier to me. I don't have to connect each plugin jail to my 4 datasets (TV, movies, music, downloads). I make that storage connection to one jail. The only issue is really updating the software. You have to do it from a CLI. It's not hard for me, but I spend half my time in a command line anyway. A lot of it is second nature to me. If you are comfortable in CLI, give it a shot.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer

I run several plugins sabnzbd, transmission, sickrage, couchpotato, and maraschino in the same jail. Works fine for me.
But you can't give the jail a custom name it will always be based on the first plugin you install, or customplugin.

fireheadman

Dabbler
I run several plugins sabnzbd, transmission, sickrage, couchpotato, and maraschino in the same jail. Works fine for me.
But you can't give the jail a custom name it will always be based on the first plugin you install, or customplugin.

This is my first post on the forum... I am in the process of moving from nas4free to freenas. My end goal is to consolidate a few computers into one FileServer/NAS/Media solution...

I know this an old thread, but watched your youtube vid when you setup the multiple plugins in a single jail. I like this idea a lot and attempted to follow this, however some things have changed in FreeNAS v9.10 that have made your video no longer a valid solution. Was curious what version of FreeNas you are on now?

From this post, it makes it sound like you have reinstall since your video?
Also, if/since you are uploading plugins from the FreeNAS repo, how are you upgrading the plugin itself?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
This is my first post on the forum... I am in the process of moving from nas4free to freenas. My end goal is to consolidate a few computers into one FileServer/NAS/Media solution...

I know this an old thread, but watched your youtube vid when you setup the multiple plugins in a single jail. I like this idea a lot and attempted to follow this, however some things have changed in FreeNAS v9.10 that have made your video no longer a valid solution. Was curious what version of FreeNas you are on now?

From this post, it makes it sound like you have reinstall since your video?
Also, if/since you are uploading plugins from the FreeNAS repo, how are you upgrading the plugin itself?
The video is not kept up to date, as noted in the blog post linked in the video's description.
If you follow the steps in the blog post you should be able to set things up with FreeNAS 9.10

I'm not sure what you are asking about reinstalling? Plugins can be upgraded on the Plugins > Installed tab. An upgrade button will be available there when the version installed does not match the version in the repo.

Status
Not open for further replies.