Multiple interfaces in jails and bhyve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asimov-solensan

Contributor
Hello,

I work with security solutions and I like to test open source projects at home. Suricata, modsecurity, pfsense ... This kind of things.

Most of them would really benefit or be useful at all with multiple interfaces but as far as I see bhyve and jails can only be assigned to a single interface.

Is there a way to add interfaces to jails or vms?
If doesn't, is it the roadmap?

Thanks for your help.

scrappy

Patron
Multiple network interface selection for Bhyve is a feature we should get with the FreeNAS 11.1 update. Not sure about jails.

asimov-solensan

Contributor
Sound amazing. Can you please pinpoint me to the official statement?

Can't find this in the features list.
https://bugs.freenas.org/projects/f..._id=415&set_filter=1&status_id=*&tracker_id=2

I want to be sure that we are talking the same here. The list mentions bhyve bridging to a phisical interface. What I want is bridge a single VM to multiple interfaces. Not create a bridge with a trunk interface and then having virtual interfaces (as done with esxi usually).

Although the later would cover my needs also.

scrappy

Patron
Here is the feature request for choosing between NICs on VMs. I guess it's not entirely clear if you can select multiple NICs for the same VM. I'd suggest filing a feature request if you cannot find that feature in the FreeNAS roadmap.

asimov-solensan

Contributor
I have got doubts too. Right now (9.10) you can only choose a single interface for all guests. Chosing per guest is an improvement, no doubt.

But still if there is a single interface as a trunk would solve most of my problems.

Would love to know the situation with jails.

asimov-solensan

Contributor
I kept researching and seems that bhyve indeed supports multiple interfaces on the same VM. In fact seems a limitation in iohyve and as a consequence in freenas interface.

This guy here at least configures it via tunables:

http://davidnelson.me/?p=439

But I'm not sure if its using one or two interfaces.

Anyhow I will check 11.1 and will file a feature request if I think is worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.