msk interface crashing during data transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekkitan

Cadet
Built my old desktop into a FreeNAS box. Motherboard is built for Windows, but it seems to work pretty well. I started transferring data from my old file server that this is replacing via an NFS share, which was going well last night after I started it and it ran for an hour before I went to sleep.

I woke up this morning, and the transfer had locked up. Tried pinging the IP of my FreeNAS and it was not replying and had no ARP. Also saw console messages about no route to host and something about the watchdog service failing for msk0 (my only interface). I rebooted the FreeNAS box and it came back up and I could access it via the network again.

I decided to try my transfer again, this time using rsync. Unlike last night though, it locked up immediately instead of after a couple hours. Again the solution to get it back on the network was to reboot.

I am wondering if there is an issue with the msk interface driver. Is anyone else using an msk NIC driver on their system?

D

dlavigne

Nope, but googling msk shows a lot of unhappy users. Would be worthwhile to grab an Intel NIC and see if that fixes the issue.

tekkitan

Cadet
Nope, but googling msk shows a lot of unhappy users. Would be worthwhile to grab an Intel NIC and see if that fixes the issue.

I figured. I've already got a dual port Intel NIC headed my way. Thanks for the reply.

Durandal

Explorer
If you still want to use the interfaces, add these to the startup commands of FreeNAS:
  • hw.msk.msi_disable="1"
  • hw.pci.enable_msi=0
  • hw.pci.enable_msix=0
Worked for me with Realtek NIC:s.

tekkitan

Cadet
Thanks for the reply, but I got my dual port Intel NIC yesterday and I've had transfers going from my old file server to my new FreeNAS without any freezing. I'll just end up disabling the onboard NIC in the BIOS probably. But good info for anyone else with this chipset :)

Status
Not open for further replies.