BUILD mpcie to 2 sata 3 ports on netbook is not working, might be drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

theoy8s

Cadet
Hi im making a freenas with my old netbook, it is an acer aspire one 270, 1gb ram 32bit, i know its not a good setup, im just testing it out, there are no
sata ports on this netbook, so i bought a mpcie to 2 sata 3 ports adapter link (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272329179239?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT)
i have installed it where the wifi thing was, i have got external power to my 2 5tb harddrives as they could not be powered through the laptop.
i have FreeNAS-9.2.1.9-RELEASE-x86 (2bbba09) Platform Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N570 @ 1.66GHz Memory 991MB.
when i turn the freenas on it works i can access the netbooks original harddrive but there is no sign of the 2 5tb drives, what can i do to access the
two drives? other then make a better setup. thank you.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That's an atrocious setup.
old netbook
As in "slower than modern smartphones" netbook?
The minimum requirement is 8GB.
bought a mpcie to 2 sata 3 ports adapter link
That thing uses a dubious PCIe SATA controller. Even if it worked, nominally, it would be a painful experience.
i have FreeNAS-9.2.1.9-RELEASE-x86
That release is around two years old. Using it is far from a good idea.

Arwen

MVP
Please note that some netbooks / laptops have miniPCIe slots that actually don't have any
PCIe lane(s). The connector can supply all of the following. Some vendors leave off the
PCIe lane(s) because they intend to use the WiFi adapater via USB.
  • Power
  • PCIe lane
  • USB
  • Low pin count I/O
Even testing, that setup is designed to fail. Testing in a VM on something more powerful
would be recommended. Just note that you have to give any FreeNAS VM 8GB of RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.