Moving system dataset to mirrored USB drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick779

Contributor
Ive noticed over the past week or so that I continually have writes to my main pool around 300KB/s Im assuming that this is the system dataset.

I dont know how destructive it is to have these small writes constantly going to the main pool 24/7, but I was considering using 2, 16-32GB USB 2.0 Kingston Datatraveler flash drives mirrored to house the system dataset. I have 10 of these drives in sizes from 8-32 GB and theyve all been rock solid for me. Not one has failed a full test from Chkflsh.

This also made me wonder about the longevity of using a flash drive since they have only so many P/E cycles until they die.

Has anyone done anything line this before? Or should I just let them go on the main pool?

ian351c

Patron
I'd just leave it the way it is. Spinning rust doesn't wear out the way flash does, and since ZFS is a copy on write file system, it's not like it's writing the same sectors over and over.

nick779

Contributor
I'd just leave it the way it is. Spinning rust doesn't wear out the way flash does, and since ZFS is a copy on write file system, it's not like it's writing the same sectors over and over.

Thats what I was leaning towards.

Status
Not open for further replies.