SOLVED Moving iTunes Library to my NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDizzz

Dabbler
Hello all-
Mac user here.
I just moved my iTunes folder to my NAS drive and when I option-click iTunes while opening, I select that folder on my drive and the message on screen is "Importing Music Library.xml" and it hangs forever. After 45 minutes of that (no disk activity during that time) I stopped the process. By contrast, when I copied my iTunes library to my portable usb-c drive and pointed iTunes at that, it fired up instantly with all my songs and playlists perfectly intact. I would prefer to use my NAS drive and not my portable drive.

I'll try to be as specific as I can with my hardware. Here goes:

Running FreeNAS version 9.10.2-U6
Supermicro X10SLL-F
Core i3 3.7 ghz
16gb ECC
4 x 1TB WD red drives in a raidz volume
AFP share
2017 Macbook Pro 2.3ghz i5 with 2 x Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C ports
High Sierra 10.13.6
iTunes 12.8.0.150

Thank you in advance for helping me figure this out. If you can't already tell I'm fairly green in this realm.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
I don't know why you are having issues, I also have the iTunes database on my FreeNAS and it works like a champ form every computer in the house. I do not have any Mac's. I also use SMB to share, not AFP. I know none of this helps you really but good luck in figuring it out.

Just a few questions...
1. Is the FreeNAS drives having a lot of activity?
2. Can you try an SMB share instead?

PDizzz

Dabbler
Wow...
Using an SMB share just... worked. It worked so well I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Things don't usually work out this well for me.

Thanks!

joeschmuck

Old Man
If it's too good to be true, then it usually is. I hope the other shoe doesn't drop but becasue you are using a Mac, well you never know. And glad to be of assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.