Questions to which I see no answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

HatManSan

Cadet
Ok so this is all new to me. I was reading CPC and saw an article about using old PC parts to make a NAS. I had a NAS, a Buffalo, but it went for a burton :(. I have a load of mobo's etc lying around and have been given a Dell GX620 complete and want to use the case etc. Constructing the NAS is simple enough, but I am not going to bother if the answers to the following are a no or a maybe.

1. Can I access my iTunes library from anywhere?
  2. Can I make a backup from a laptop from anywhere?
  3. Do I really need 4Gb of RAM. I have no interest currently in ZFS just a normal pair of Samsung F3 1Tb's?
  4. I planned on using an Athlon 64 with 4 x 512Mb sticks of DDR400 and an 4Gb CF for boot?
  5. Can I map the drive to a remote laptop in another country?
  6. Is hosting a website at home a no no without a decent upload speed?
  7. Can I allow friends to dump stuff on the NAS?

Sorry for all the questions but the last week of searching and debating hasn't really helped me much. I appreciate any help given, thanks.

leeleatherwood

Dabbler
Almost all of your questions have nothing to do with FreeNAS and more to do with your firewall and port forwarding.

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi HatManSan,

@leeleatherwood is pretty much correct. Please take a look at the FAQs in my signature below. FreeNAS 8 is still pretty young, but new stuff is being added/updated all the time. The real bells and whistles will come with version 8.1 next year sometime, probably around summer? If you're not interested in ZFS, you might want to consider version .7, which is more stable and has more features integrated. Then next year, upgrade to version 8.1.

HatManSan

Cadet
I see. OK thank you. I would lioke to have the most efficient NAS possible but won't use it to the extend that going out and buying new parts and 8Gb of RAM dictates, hence the stock HDD philosophy.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.