Moving from small drives to large

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernsky

Explorer
Hello,

I searched around before asking this but I did not find the answer. I currently have 3 2tb wd red hard drives in a pool with raid zf1 (in Corral it was easy to read but in 9.10 I cannot find what raid I am at all I see is compression.) and I am considering adding switching to 6tb drives and replacing the 2tb drives. What is the best way to do this without hosing my data. My gut tells me I'll have to add the 6tb drives and create a new pool and then move my data over and then detatch the 2tb drives? Problem with that is not enough room in my chassie. Any advice? I should have thought long term before I bought the 2tb drives.

thanks - Scott

CraigD

Patron
Problem with that is not enough room in my chassie. Any advice? I should have thought long term before I bought the 2tb drives.

Either of the above methods will work. @Jurgen Segaert methodology has your data at less risk

RAIDz1 is not recommended for large drives, your data is safer with RAIDz2, and even safer with RAIDz3

I recommend a RAIDz2 volume with as many drives that will fit in your case, If it wont hold 4-5 drives get a new case

Create a new volume and replicate to it, then detach the smaller volume. While replicating data, drives can hang outside the case as long as the drives are not in danger of shorting and have a data and power your fine. You can temporally add SAS or SATA card(s), and even run some drives on supplementary power if needed

It is hard to tell if any of this is even possible because all we know about your hardware is you have a small case

Have Fun

Status
Not open for further replies.