Moving from OMV to Freenas Disaster

gwaitsi

Patron
Newbie here (but it shouldn't be this difficult !!!)
Was running OMV from v2 to current v5 (on the whole, without issue - and brilliant support from the limited # developers)

got myself a supermicro X11 and setup the full monty. expected to be able to simply import the data from my backup ext4
(maybe that should be a visible warning on the installation package - you can't simply migrate from linux based nas systems)

1) got a new disk and formatted as Ext3 transferred the data to that. Getting the same error i was when trying to mount the ext4
Error: Mount failed (exit code 1): mount: /dev/ada2p1: Invalid argument
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 349, in run
await self.future
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 385, in __run_body
rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 961, in nf
return await f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool.py", line 2027, in import_disk
async with MountFsContextManager(self.middleware, device, src, fs_type, fs_options, ["ro"]):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool.py", line 283, in __aenter__
await mount(self.device, self.path, *self.args, **self.kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool.py", line 142, in mount
output[1].decode("utf-8"),
ValueError: Mount failed (exit code 1):
mount: /dev/ada2p1: Invalid argument

2) it LACP doesn't work with netgear switches, although i am running other devices with no problems

3) doesn't seem to have a graphic config for the most basic of tasks e.g. ClamAV, Log Viewing, etc
4) doesnt seem to support hot swapping drives or usb drives and backups to USB drives

maybe it is just my lack of product knowledge, but i certainly can't say this is a good experience. weekend gone and still nothing usable.
Almost ready to trash it and go back to OMV on new hardware

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
got myself a supermicro X11 and setup the full monty. expected to be able to simply import the data from my backup ext4
(maybe that should be a visible warning on the installation package - you can't simply migrate from linux based nas systems)

1) got a new disk and formatted as Ext3 transferred the data to that. Getting the same error i was when trying to mount the ext4
Did you even look at the section of the manual related to that? https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.3-U4/storage.html#importing-a-disk

Ext 3&4 not officially supported but may work with some cajoling. Ext2 is supported.

2) it LACP doesn't work with netgear switches, although i am running other devices with no problems
Plenty of folks have LACP working, maybe you're not correctly setting it up.

3) doesn't seem to have a graphic config for the most basic of tasks e.g. ClamAV, Log Viewing, etc
ClamAV is a plugin, so not the most basic, but it indeed has no GUI. Critical errors are raised via the alerts and notifications systems... there's no GUI for viewing the entire logs unless you use the Shell option in the GUI.

4) doesnt seem to support hot swapping drives or usb drives and backups to USB drives
SATA or SAS controllers that support hot-swap are supported... do you have one of those?

USB is recommended to avoid in general, but there should be nothing stopping you from disconnecting a drive that has no mounted content.

maybe it is just my lack of product knowledge, but i certainly can't say this is a good experience. weekend gone and still nothing usable.
Almost ready to trash it and go back to OMV on new hardware
If you're not interested in doing the homework, maybe it's best to stick with what you know.

danb35

Hall of Famer
You can't simply use it to design an airplane, either. Should that also be a warning? You seem to have expectations of what FreeNAS will do that aren't based in reality or the documentation. If you're considering using it, it would be worth consulting that documentation to see whether it will do what you want it to do.
doesn't seem to have a graphic config for the most basic of tasks e.g. ClamAV, Log Viewing, etc
No, it doesn't. Why did you expect otherwise? Certainly nothing in the manual would have suggested it does this. Much of this could be done in jails if desired, but it isn't part of the base system.
doesnt seem to support hot swapping drives
Of course it does, if your hardware does.
or usb drives
I don't know what kind of "support" you think it lacks for USB drives, but it sees them just fine and treats the same as any other drive. Any sort of long-term usage is discouraged, though, as their controllers are generally pretty flaky.
backups to USB drives
FreeNAS doesn't really have much in the way of built-in backup capability--the closest would be snapshots and replication. Again, as far as it's concerned, a drive is a drive.

gwaitsi

Patron
i have a UNAS with hot swapable drives SATA drives. If i add a new drive, i need to reboot to get the Disks menu to see the new drive
If i plug a drive in via the USB3 interface, it is also not recognised until i do a reboot.

of course, i would try to force the lagg0 interface to "media 1000baseTX mediaopt full-duplex"
- but the option doesn't seem to do anything as ifconfig still shows it was auto-negotiated

Last edited:

ornias

Wizard
i have a UNAS with hot swapable drives SATA drives. If i add a new drive, i need to reboot to get the Disks menu to see the new drive
If i plug a drive in via the USB3 interface, it is also not recognised until i do a reboot.

I have no Idea how you put drives in a Unas:

gwaitsi

Patron

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
As already mentioned by me and @danb35 , but to make it clearer, the disk controller you're connected to needs to support hot-plug. Evidently that's not the case, so having a capable chassis is only half the equation. You may be able to get an LSI HBA in there to do the job right.

gwaitsi

Patron
As already mentioned by me and @danb35 , but to make it clearer, the disk controller you're connected to needs to support hot-plug. Evidently that's not the case, so having a capable chassis is only half the equation. You may be able to get an LSI HBA in there to do the job right.

Ke....It was working as hot-plug under OMV for the last four years, on an AsRock E351M motherboard. Are you suggesting a SuperMicro X11SCL-IF motherboard is not capable, or freebsd is not capable?

gwaitsi

Patron
the problem with the LAGG is related to the vlan, but i don't know how to fix it.

On the netgear interface, i can tag only the vlan for the LAG interface.
How do i config so the LAG interface is attached to vlan2 only.
I am using the IPMI port for the LAN interface. but by configuring the LAGG to the LAN interface it is working.

sretalla