Cannot import pool

jbserber

Cadet
Hi all,

I have installed the last version of freeNas 11.3 U4.1 and I've a trouble to import my previous pool named volume2. The name of the volume appear in the web GUI when I try to import it but the wizard cannot complete the operation and this error appear :
Error: concurrent.futures.process._RemoteTraceback:
"""
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/process.py", line 239, in _process_worker
r = call_item.fn(*call_item.args, **call_item.kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 97, in main_worker
res = loop.run_until_complete(coro)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/asyncio/base_events.py", line 579, in run_until_complete
return future.result()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 53, in _run
return await self._call(name, serviceobj, methodobj, params=args, job=job)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 45, in _call
return methodobj(*params)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 45, in _call
return methodobj(*params)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 965, in nf
return f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 390, in import_pool
'Failed to mount datasets after importing "%s" pool: %s', name_or_guid, str(e), exc_info=True
File "libzfs.pyx", line 369, in libzfs.ZFS.__exit__
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 383, in import_pool
zfs.import_pool(found, found.name, options, any_host=any_host)
File "libzfs.pyx", line 870, in libzfs.ZFS.import_pool
libzfs.ZFSException: '/data/zfs' is not a valid directory
"""

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 349, in run
await self.future
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 385, in __run_body
rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 961, in nf
return await f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool.py", line 1934, in import_pool
'cachefile': ZPOOL_CACHE_FILE,
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1141, in call
app=app, pipes=pipes, job_on_progress_cb=job_on_progress_cb, io_thread=True,
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1081, in _call
return await self._call_worker(name, *args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1101, in _call_worker
return await self.run_in_proc(main_worker, name, args, job)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1036, in run_in_proc
return await self.run_in_executor(self.__procpool, method, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1010, in run_in_executor
return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
libzfs.ZFSException: ("'/data/zfs' is not a valid directory",)

I tried to look the state of zpool by using command line zpool status but this volume doesn't appear. I can import it but it was unavailable in web GUI but I look a warning message :
Code:
root@freenas:~ # zpool import
   pool: volume2
     id: 2633900316187472128
  state: ONLINE
 status: Some supported features are not enabled on the pool.
 action: The pool can be imported using its name or numeric identifier, though
        some features will not be available without an explicit 'zpool upgrade'.
 config:

volume2                                         ONLINE
          raidz1-0                                      ONLINE
            gptid/0ab2d582-014d-11e4-a1fe-bc5ff4dd0c50  ONLINE
            gptid/0bcfa8ca-014d-11e4-a1fe-bc5ff4dd0c50  ONLINE

I'm not an expert, is the zpool upgrade will solved my issue ?

Thanks for your help,
Regards,

Jbserber

Yorick

Wizard
'/data/zfs' is not a valid directory - I highly doubt this has anything to do with ZFS feature flags. /data/zfs holds the zpool.cache and is part of your boot volume.

What did you install to? SSD or USB? USB have a habit of dying when used as a boot medium, they die faster if used at USB 3 speeds.

Can you do a scrub of your boot pool and see what comes back?

jbserber

Cadet
Hi Yorick,

The boot is installed on USB 3 key.
The result of scrub of freenas-boot :
errors: No known data errors
root@freenas[~]# zpool scrub freenas-boot
root@freenas[~]# zpool status
pool: freenas-boot
state: ONLINE
scan: scrub in progress since Fri Jul 31 14:22:42 2020
1.00G scanned at 7.08M/s, 447K issued at 3.08K/s, 1.00G total
0 repaired, 0.04% done, no estimated completion time
config:

Yorick

Wizard
Okay wait for the scrub to complete and see.
USB3 flash stick is the worst possible boot medium. My recommendation is to build a "durable USB key" thusly:

- Any M.2 SATA 2242 for example https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-MTS400S-Solid-State-TS32GMTS400S/dp/B077H276GQ/
- Any M.2 SATA to USB for example https://www.amazon.com/Aluminium-Enclosure-NG-2242A-Extension-Converter/dp/B082CJ2V76/

If that's not an option, at the very least reduce speed to USB 2 to try and get a little more life out of that boot stick. Some folk have had USB 2 sticks in production for 5 years; others have USB boot sticks fail on them within weeks or months. I'm in the latter group, I started with a USB 3 stick, had it die in under 2 months, went to SSD and never looked back.

What motherboard are you using? Is booting from a SATA SSD or M.2 SSD an option?

jbserber

Cadet
Hi Yorick,

You are right, it comes from my USB key... I changed it by a USB2 to do a test and it works fine.
My motherboard is a MSI E350IS-E45. So I will buy asap a M2 SSD or SATA with USB kit, I'm gonna think about it.

Many thanks for your help,

Have a nice WK,

Jbserber